12000 mile Rear Wheel Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Rear cones were feeling and sounding a bit rumbly, so decided to do the replacement.

My LBS ( Red Kite, Solihull ) didn't have the cones, so like a good LBS should, directed me to another. We both said "Scott's" simultaneously, so that was my next call.

Scott's had the jobbies. Well, a complete axle assy, but it had the correct cones. £6.99.

Now the secret of changing cones is to get the race EXACTLY the same distance from the clamp nut on the drive side. This is so the rim sits in the centre and the cassette is the same distance from the clamp nut face.
Disassemble the non-drive side first, measure up the drive side and take a digi photo so you get the assembly correct. In the old days, I would have sketched a drawing.

If one does this correctly, the rear mech upper and lower limit stops needn't be adjusted. Tick the box here.

Extra to the cones, I gave the spokes a quick tension, which not only tightens any loose ones, but using the dishing tool brings the rim to bang on centre after the cones replacement.

While I was performing the dishing, I noticed a bulge in the Conti Ultra Gatorskin. A sharp object had lodged in the rubber. New tyre from stock.

All was well with new tyre and I didn't need to switch the oven on :biggrin:

A 25 mile shakedown run took 1hr 40mins and shifting was 'sugar sweet', not treacle.

Top Bottom