125 miles - realistic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I've been toying with the idea of a charity ride recently, to raise money for a local charity that I want to support. There isn't really much in the way of organised rides around here, so I would probably have to do it on my own and pretty much unsupported. Since 125 miles is 200km, and sounds more impressive for a single ride than 160km (100 miles), that's the distance that's going round in my head.

Am I being unrealistic in considering what I could achieve?

I did my longest ride so far last Sunday - 40 miles with 2716ft of climbing in about 3 hours. (I was a bit tired when I got back, and had a stiff neck, but I don't think another 10-20 miles would have killed me.) I'd be looking at riding just over 3 times that, and going into more mountainous territory, so I wouldn't be surprised if 125 miles included 10,000ft or more of climbing. Including breaks for rest, food, getting water, etc - and assuming no technical troubles - I can't see that I'd do it in much less than 12 hours. Put like that, it sounds quite daunting.

Apart from builing up mileage and making sure I get my nutrition right, is there anything else I need to consider if I'm serious about doing this?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I've been toying with the idea of a charity ride recently, to raise money for a local charity that I want to support. There isn't really much in the way of organised rides around here, so I would probably have to do it on my own and pretty much unsupported. Since 125 miles is 200km, and sounds more impressive for a single ride than 160km (100 miles), that's the distance that's going round in my head.

Am I being unrealistic in considering what I could achieve?

I did my longest ride so far last Sunday - 40 miles with 2716ft of climbing in about 3 hours. (I was a bit tired when I got back, and had a stiff neck, but I don't think another 10-20 miles would have killed me.) I'd be looking at riding just over 3 times that, and going into more mountainous territory, so I wouldn't be surprised if 125 miles included 10,000ft or more of climbing. Including breaks for rest, food, getting water, etc - and assuming no technical troubles - I can't see that I'd do it in much less than 12 hours. Put like that, it sounds quite daunting.

Apart from builing up mileage and making sure I get my nutrition right, is there anything else I need to consider if I'm serious about doing this?

Spend as much time in the saddle as you can. Bum fatigue with come into play. Also your mental strength will be tested. Physically I am sure you will do it. Just get out and ride :biggrin:

I did one of Colins forum rides, it was 86-88 mile for me and involved around 2300m of climbing. Set out at 8.30 and got home around 7.00. In fairness it was taken at a very steady pace with plenty of stops. Prior to that the most I had ridden in one go was about 50 mile with 1000+m of climbing, the day after the forum ride I could barely walk, but the week after doing a similar ride the pain was much more manageable :laugh:.

So what I am getting at to do 125 I would say you need to take a few weeks and build up in say 20 - 25 mile increments from your 40 miles before attempting it. You would probably get 80 - 90 miles in and be completely whacked at this stage.Oh and when looking at your route don't underestimate how much longer it takes to climb a gradient for a couple of miles, even if it is only 5% or so compared to cycling on the flat, well it does at my level of fitness leastwise :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not unrealistic, as you suggest build your mileage (and address any problems with comfort if and when they arise).

Ride regularly and put in some longer rides when you can, once you've done a ride of 70-80 mile over similar terrain then I'd suggest 125 miles should be fairly comfortably within reach- as comfortable as distance cycling ever is anyway. You've already done forty and think you could do another 20 do not so far to build up the distance, and a clear distance goal for the next ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Assuming that you steadily build up your endurance to cope with the distance and climbing involved, and sort out your food and drink needs, the biggest thing to consider is your comfort on your bike.

The stiff neck on your 40 mile ride is a warning that something might not be quite right with your position on the bike so I'd get somebody to double-check that.

You will also need to be very happy with your saddle, shorts, shoes, pedals and gloves. I added Marsas shock-absorbing inserts under my cork bar tape and that helped with hand comfort. (You can also get gel-cushioned tape from Specialized and other manufacturers.)

It is not unrealistic to build up to a ride like that in less than a year if you go about it properly.

e-rider

crappy member
the stiff neck could be an issue - I suffer from neck pain on long rides after a neck injury 6 years ago. I'm usually fine up to about 70 miles and then in agony by 100 miles. Definitely investigate why your neck is hurting before attemping 100+ mile rides.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Depending on the time scale for your preparation it is doeable ,I would try and do a 100km soopn then maybe a 150 if you can do that without collapsing in a heap the 200 will be ok.

Also select your route carefully, a flattish route on good tarmac is a lot easier than hills and rough surfaces.

As well as your own cycle fitness you need to look at the bike. If the cables are getting on a bit treat it to knew ones ditto brake blocks and go for some tyres with puncture protection but not too heavy and slow.

I have been impressed with the Michelin Krylion Carbons I am on now. Quite light and fast but seem to be pretty tough.

Good Luck

Glover Fan

The only advice I can give is not to think about the distance, you will make completing it a lot harder mentally. My personal opinion is once you can cycle 60 miles comfortably you are pretty much physically there to do 125. The rest is just in your head. It's why some people are good at endurance events and some aren't. Mental fitness is not very often discussed but is as important as physical fitness and like climbing hills well takes a lot of practice so does building up mental strength.

I agree with glover about the mental aspect. The first half will be training and the second half will be willpower
Just dig in and keep going and eat and drink regular even if you don't feel like it. Food is not appealing when your knackered but you have too keep fueling and hydrating

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The only advice I can give is not to think about the distance, you will make completing it a lot harder mentally. My personal opinion is once you can cycle 60 miles comfortably you are pretty much physically there to do 125. The rest is just in your head. It's why some people are good at endurance events and some aren't. Mental fitness is not very often discussed but is as important as physical fitness and like climbing hills well takes a lot of practice so does building up mental strength.

+1 To all that. You need the mental attitude probably more than the physical fitness.

Back to the O.P. now you have done 40 miles you have busted the biggest hurdles and now its just a matter of upping the miles bit by bit. Or I would wager that if you really wanted it badly you could go out and ride 125 miler tommorrow. It would be slow and painfull but you could do it. Training will just make it a more pleasant day out.

jack cameron

I completed my first 100 mile run a couple of weeks ago,as Angelfishsolo has said it's more than a physical test but a mental test also..you really have to dig deep at times to get there...The physical side for me wasn't a real issue for me,but when you get a bit tired your mental state comes into play.I also got a sore kneck after about 50 miles due to the rucksack i had on my back.If you take the proper fuel,there is no reason for you not to be able to do it,just dig in...good luck.

Everyone has given very sound advice so far and covered all aspects.:thumbsup: Obviously try and get your max milage up,you need to be doing 70-80 mile rides at a comfortable pace before attempting 125! It's a big,big leap from 40 miles. I know you said you felt good and could have done more but believe me there's a point where 'out the blue' your legs will feel like lead and the slightest gradient will seem like a mountain!!! Preperation is the key. I sorry if it all sounds like i trying to put you on a 'downer'; I just want you to be fully prepared.... The mental strength is critical and will play its part after 80+ miles or so. I would plan a realistic route too,you don't want to be trying to go uphill on the last part of your ride!:whistle:.... Take the hills on early at a steady pace and if you can plan the route in such a way that the last 30 miles are downhill or flat that will really help you out. Take cereal/energy bars and on my last tour i had red-bull towards the end! Worked a treat. The very best of luck to you.:thumbsup:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
This is the training plan I followed before my first 100 mile ride, which can easily be amended for your proposed ride.

Don't underestimate the benefit of having someone to ride with: aside from practical matters, such as sharing the carrying of kit, you'll find the mutual encouragement invaluable and it also helps to relieve the boredom.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom