13 miles in 48 minutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Johnny5 said:
My longest single ride so far has been a 132 mile trip from Manchester to Abersoch in Wales and on that hottish day, I drank about 3.5 litres of sports drinks and a few cups of coffee together with 4 ham sarnies, 2 flapjacks, 2 bananas, half a soreen loaf and a sausage and egg butty durring a lunch time stop.

Nice ride there Johnny!

Did you take a rucksack or do you have panniers?

Johnny5

Garz said:
Nice ride there Johnny!

Did you take a rucksack or do you have panniers?

There was 7 of us on the ride and one of the guys had a holiday home in Abersoch and we had our bags taken there a couple of weeks before hand. During the ride, I had 2x1 litre bottles on my road racer and carried all the food in my jersey pockets. We stopped off at garages to purchase more drinks and stop in Bala for lunch.

Great ride it was, with some nice steady climbs and some fast decends...I hit 48mph just rolling down a hill!

One tip though: don't eat sweets until you are close to your destination as it'll boost you energy for a bit, giving you a sugar high and then makes you feel really tired after a while once the sugar level dips again. I was munching on sweets after 60 miles and when I hit just over 100 miles, I felt really sleepy after that! Since then, I don't eat sweet during my rides now.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I take only water on my commute to/from work, but then that's only 6 (hilly) miles each way. I hate riding alone with a dry mouth.

Ave speed this week is 13.9mph.

Ben M

On rides around twenty miles or so I usually take one bottle (750ml) of weak squash. I would take water, but I prefer having something nice to drink rather than plain old water.

Davidc said:
Ahem.... Yours is <16mph. Darkfibre72's is 20mph!

Err no it isn't. 13 miles in 48 minutes is 16.25mph average.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
gaz said:
14 mile ride to work, and i drink over 2l of water
is this now a competition?

Davidc

Guru
Ben M said:
On rides around twenty miles or so I usually take one bottle 9750ml) of weak squash. I would take water, but I prefer having something nice to drink rather than plain old water.

Err yes :evil:

16.25's still lots less than 20 though!

Both are faster than I can go. :ohmy:

tyred

Legendary Member
Ben M said:
On rides around twenty miles or so I usually take one bottle 9750ml) of weak squash. I would take water, but I prefer having something nice to drink rather than plain old water.

You take over two gallon of squash on a ride of 20 miles:smile:

Ant

tyred said:
You take over two gallon of squash on a ride of 20 miles:smile:

That's probably an 'all-up' bike weight of around 45lbs I wonder what Jimbo's formula reckons his lowest gear should be. :evil:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Just before someone chimes in with a claim never to drink before during or after... it is fully recognized by all leading manufacturers of bottled water and sports drinks that fluid intake is perfectly normal especially during exercise.. ok thats the HSE placated.

Top Bottom