135mm road disc hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
The second hand aksium disc wheel on the back of my commuter has a nice size wobble in it now, perhaps not the bargain they seemed to be at the time. The nipples are seized and the spokes are going rusty so repairing the wheel seems futile and I'm loathe to replace it with another Aksium only for the same to happen. The spokes have a cutout to fit the hub flange so a rebuild would need Mavic spokes (£2.50 each!) and a replacement rim with an identical ERD. The front aksium rim was rebuilt on to a dynamo hub last year - the wheel runs true but the rim is again showing its age, corroding around the nipple eyelets. I now wish I'd built the hub on to a new rim at the time but hindsight is a wonderful thing :laugh:

Anyway, I want to keep the dynamo front hub and scrap the rest but I'm struggling to locate a replacement rear hub before I look in to rims and hoped someone could guide me. Requirements are:

135mm QR axle
Road 11-speed freehub
6-bolt disc fitment (I could use an adapter if needed but would rather not)
decent spoke count, 32h preferably as I carry a decent weight on the pannier at times (plus my not-insignificant mass of course ;))
available in black, but not a deal breaker.
<£50

Most of the 135mm disc hubs I'm finding are mtb specific so a road 11 speed cassette won't fit, and the few I have found are either centrelock disc only or low spoke count :wacko: Surely something like this is common on commuter/tourer type bicycles?

Any guidance greatly appreciated :smile: Thanks!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think I've answered my own question - if I replace the cassette too with a MTB specific 11-speed jobby it seems I can take my pick from a big range of MTB hubs. I cant see the drawbacks yet :laugh:

Top Bottom