14% Higher Chance Of Injury When Wearing Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
On average, the world is flat

screenman

Legendary Member
You're misusing the availability heuristic. Which is a depressingly common trait. It's better to understand the statistics.
Please explain, I have got rid of all the members of staff I had that could read long words.

StuartG

slower but further
Not sure what that has got to do with my opinion.
Opinion based on personal experience can be dangerously misleading.

It is natural, from casual observation, to believe the world is flat. Indeed to believe otherwise is counter-intuitive. However, the evidence by more detailed observation and experimentation is that the earth is nearly spherical is very strong. Or overwhelming. That it goes around the sun and not vice versa.

You say your opinion was fixed twenty years ago based on personal experience and ignores the evidence gathered about helmets which did not even exist in their present form at that time. In other words don't bother yourself with facts. Intuitive is what you believe, counter intuitive stuff or evolving evidence is off your agenda. Hence the question of whether you believe Lincolnshire is flat.

Whoooooops :ohmy:

screenman

Legendary Member
Opinion based on personal experience can be dangerously misleading.

It is natural, from casual observation, to believe the world is flat. Indeed to believe otherwise is counter-intuitive. However, the evidence by more detailed observation and experimentation is that the earth is nearly spherical is very strong. Or overwhelming. That it goes around the sun and not vice versa.

You say your opinion was fixed twenty years ago based on personal experience and ignores the evidence gathered about helmets which did not even exist in their present form at that time. In other words don't bother yourself with facts. Intuitive is what you believe, counter intuitive stuff or evolving evidence is off your agenda. Hence the question of whether you believe Lincolnshire is flat.

Whoooooops :ohmy:

Phew! got it.

Well maybe I did not point out that I have had experiences in more recent years that have helped me form my opinion. How's that?

StuartG

slower but further
Well maybe I did not point out that I have had experiences in more recent years that have helped me form my opinion. How's that?
Human intuition and learning from experience are wonderful and successful processes. However, they are not foolproof.

When one scrutinises the overall statistics on helmets there is a consensus amongst professional statisticians that the evidence does not show a significant benefit and several disbenefits. It is not possible to definitively balance these up and it depends how you feel about personal and national benefit and wish to encourage a mass take up of cycling to the best continental levels. The statistics do point to processes (training!) which will significantly reduce your risk of collisions and injury. If all the money that had been spent on helmets had been spent on training then many lives would not have been wasted or damaged.

The bottom line is helmets are not important in cycling safety. The belief they are is the real danger.

StuartG

slower but further
Is the fact I spend a lot of time cycling in single track area's amongst tree's etc, of any use.
If so and low lying branches are a hazard then a helmet may be more use than TMN's insecure wooly hat that would be left hanging behind. The more important issue is that if you are using a helmet to knowingly justify riding in a hazardous area and belief it will more than compensate for the extra risk - then how confident are you about that?

Wearing a helmet does affect risk compensation. People are very bad at judging risk (without supporting statistics). Personally I prefer to ride safely without rather than dangerously with. I think the stats are with me on average outcomes. But see you in heaven or the other place (CS2?).

2894789 said:
That would be somewhere over my head

coal-miner-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom