14th April - Amersham pre-Fridays tour ride - 66 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
UPDATE: 9:32 (plus faffing time) start confirmed, unless anyone shouts sharpish. That's the 08:57 train from Marylebone.

Open to all who are happy to ride in a relatively leisurely fashion with mutual support. Here' s the original from the Fridays tour thread:
There aren't enough bike rides that look at big houses, so here's a draft route that does just that.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/72532558/

Starting from Amersham railway station, we go first to Chequers to wave at Dave. Then it's along a private estate road (which I need to check out) to the first of several Rothschild properties - Waddesdon. From Waddesdon we go past the railway museum at Quainton to the Verney family residence at Claydon. There is, apparently, a teashop there outside of the National Trust enclave.

From Claydon we skirt back down to Wing, past Ascott and Mentmore (two more Rothschild houses). I've then routed the ride back through Wendover Woods - it wouldn't be a Chiltern bike ride without a long hill, and this is the most pleasant in the area, not least because there's an ace little café at the top. Finally, there's a quick and not-all-that tortuous ride back to Amersham via smaller, but still rather lovely houses in The Lee - including the most surprising bit of public art.

It's about 66 miles. It could be made longer, and still on-theme by including a loop out to Stowe Landscape Gardens (which would mean a picnic in the carpark or by the side of the road unless everyone's an NT member). It could be made shorter by starting at Great Missenden. There are bail-out points a-plenty - the whole route is within a few miles of the Chiltern line out to Aylesbury. Most of the ride is on B or unclassified roads, and there's almost nothing on a busy road. The road up to Chequers is a bit of a drag; Wendover Woods is definitely a hill. The rest is basically rolling.
Relatively late start (just after 10am is suggested; I may pull that back to 9:30 if necessary. Either way it's just after a Chiltern Line train from London arrives - no reservation necessary or possible) Lunch and coffee stops to be determined, although there's likely to be something at Wendover on the way back. Road surfaces are pretty lousy, but skinny tyres will be fine if you don't mind a pothole or two.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Possibles:
srw & mrs srw in stately array
User13710
martint325
CharlieB
IanMac62 for some of the time as part of a big loop down from Northampton

Please could I be listed as another "possible"?
I'm signed up for a 200km audax that day but suspect I won't be up to it (booked it over New Years before my Achilles injury). A Chilterns ride would be a lovely alternative - in fact, probably Plan A. :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
subject to trains and cost thereof from down here to up there please pencil me in as a possible. nice to go ride somewhere unfamiliar.

Please can I do this too?

M

OP
OP
srw

srw

Possibles:
srw & mrs srw in stately array
User13710
martint325
CharlieB
IanMac62 for some of the time as part of a big loop down from Northampton
RebeccaOlds
Mice
ceepeebee
Flying Dodo
lilolee
Greg Collins

I'm toying with the idea of starting at 9:32 plus footbridge-crossing time - let me know if that puts anyone off. I want to give plenty of time for faffing and bike fitting!

The single fare to Amersham from anywhere in the TFL zoned area is £4.60 with an Oyster card, so the cheapest way of travelling from elsewhere (that doesn't involve a bike ride) is likely to involve a change of trains at the edge of zone 6.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The single fare to Amersham from anywhere in the TFL zoned area is £4.60 with an Oyster card, so the cheapest way of travelling from elsewhere (that doesn't involve a bike ride) is likely to involve a change of trains at the edge of zone 6.
Moonspeak. To this southern railways/region lad anyway....

the joys of pastures new and TfL. help me out someone please....

I shall arrive at Victoria with a zone 1 - 6 Travelcard in my sweaty little hand, and a fully charged pay-as-you-go oyster card in my wallet. I believe I need to cycle to Marylebone Station and then what? Southern want £20+ for the trip which seems excessive given a travel card only costs me £13 with my network card discount....

So can one of you urban sophisticates explain in words of few syllables what this bumpkin needs to do...

Top Bottom