14th April - Amersham pre-Fridays tour ride - 66 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just a thought - the Chiltern line will be rather busy that day I reckon - the FA Cup semi-finals are on the 14th and 15th, Liverpool's will most likely be on the 14th I'd have thought too, so there'll be folks coming down the slow way. That line stopping at Wembley and all...

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks for the heads-up. I think we should be OK - the CHiltern line to Aylesbury doesn't stop at Wembley, and I can't imagine all that many scousers will be going through Marylebone at 9am for a 3pm kick-off...

gbs

Guru
Please count me in - MYB trains arrive Amersham at 02 and 32 past the hour.

Second thoughts; the Fulham to Amersham ride is roughly equivalent to 4 laps of RPark. So if it is a fine day .... Any one in the SW or West London area interested in riding out?

gbs

Guru
Martin, Ian: nice to know that there will significant tow capacity for the ride out! I will suggest a coffeestop/pickup point somewhere in the Hammersmith/Chiswick area once we have an agreed route.

For discussion the route attached - uses the main roads to Denham so simple to follow.

Attachments

• SW6_to_Amersham.gpx
    171.4 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
srw

srw

Recce ride today was successful. As a larger rider some of the rolls are are little tougher than I'd like, but then I expect to be at the back anyway!

I'm definitely thinking of a 9:32 + faff time start, then probably stops at Waddesdon, Winslow and Wendover Woods, with an additional possibility at Wing - and I promise I didn't think of that because of the alliteration. I'll bin the Ascott House detour, because the A418 is truly horrible, and you can't really tell there's a house there unless you go right up to the front door. I'll do a count-up in a week or two's time and decide whether we need to be organised about food or whether we can be random on the day.

There are facilities of all kinds both inside and outside Amersham station - including Gutbusters for stodge, Tesco and Waitrose for something more civilised, and Dees for bikes.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Recce ride today was successful. As a larger rider some of the rolls are are little tougher than I'd like, but then I expect to be at the back anyway!

I'm definitely thinking of a 9:32 + faff time start, then probably stops at Waddesdon, Winslow and Wendover Woods, with an additional possibility at Wing - and I promise I didn't think of that because of the alliteration.
great! How about Woodham, Westcott and Wotton Underwood?

I'd like to do this. We're back from our hols on the 13th, and it's just possible we could get ourselves together and catch the early train

ianmac62

Guru
Just realised that the route goes through Aston Clinton. I've no local knowledge but my copy of "50 Quirky Bike Rides" claims that you can freewheel uphill on Dancersend Lane.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
potential likely return time to Amersham?

EDIT: and. London peeps, what's a tidy route from either London Bridge or Victoria to Marylebone plus likely duration thereof?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Victoria to Marylebone - the least worst way is to head up to Hyde Park Corner, and then, where you would normally cut right on to the Constitution Arch bit, go straight in to the park. You have to cut across a coupel of roads, but then you'll find yourself on a cycle path heading north parallel to Park Lane. About two thirds of the way to Marble Arch you'll see a turning to the right, which takes you out of the park near a memorial to horses that died in war (?). Take the crossing over Park Land and head down Upper Brook Street. Turn left at Park Street and jut keep going - over Oxford Street, over the Marylebone Road, and then turn left at Dorset Square.

You could head up Park Lane, but you have to get in to the fast lane to turn right at Upper Brook Street.

London Bridge to Marylebone is not so much fun. I'd head over the bridge, turn left after the bridge, go down a little road that curves to the Embankment - take the Embankment through the tunnel, and turn right at Northumberland Avenue, just after the Charing Cross viaduct. Go straight ahead at Trafalgar Square, in to Pall Mall, until the road takes you right. Cross Piccadilly and go in to Albermarle Street. At teh top end of Albermarle street go right and then almost immediately left past a statue of Churchill and Roosevelt sitting on a bench. Walk up Bond Street for 150 yards, and then ride left on Grosvenor Street until you get to get to park Street - then turn right on Park Street

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So it is midway(ish) tween Paddington and London Business School/Regents Park? Aha. In my that landan blind spot, never having worked out there. Should be able to find it then.

OP
OP
srw

srw

potential likely return time to Amersham?
How long is a piece of string?

On my own (apart from the middle section when I joined Dodo's gang), and returning by a slightly different route, and with two stops rather than three, but going about the right distance over about the right terrain, I was out between 10:15 and 16:30 for five hours of riding. And I'm no racing snake.

I'd guess that if we manage to set off by 9:45 and are reasonably disciplined about faffing and lucky with mechanicals we could easily expect to be back by 18:00. But it's light until gone 19:00.

There are pubs in Amersham for post-ride refreshment.

For a local-road route from London Bridge to Marylebone, if you've got one of Mr Garmin's excellent wayfaring devices, drop me a line and I'll wing you the conventional commuting route via Bloomsbury.

Top Bottom