155mm wide saddle required, but what about shape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Noticing that my Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle isn't as comfortable as my Prologo Kappa (although both are more comfortable than my Charge Spoon) after a couple of hours, I was given to pondering my arse width. Whilst in Evans buying a work stand, I asked if I could sit on the Bum-o-Meter and it turns out my sit-bones are 135mm distant and thus, something in the 155mm saddle width range is required.

The existing saddles range from 135mm to the 146mm Kappa, which goes some way to why it is more comfortable.

Now, I'm well able to use Google, so finding a 155mm examples isn't hard and I don't mind paying for a good one, although I'm always happy when the right one costs less.

What I'm interested in is borrowing the experience of those with more knowledge regarding saddle shape. Should I just hedge my bets and pick something semi-round, or should a fella, who's at the heavier end of the spectrum and likes reasonably swift road riding, be looking at rounder or flatter saddle types?

I appreciate that everybody's arses are different, but a few of you must have been through a similar process, so I'm just wondering what you found.

Cheers,

Russell

Sharky

Guru
Have San Marco Regal's on my bikes. They are 149mm according to the wiggle spec.
For me they been very comfortable

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think shape is more a function of how much you lean forwards, with some influence from the shape of your thighs. My folding bike has a much more upright riding position and a shorter more triangular saddle.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Much as I try to like the idea of leather, I can't see it happening on the KTM.

I had a look at the Fabrics, but they're erring toward the narrow end of the spectrum (142mm) and I wanted to stay above 145mm as a minimum. Shame, because the Fabric Line with it's pressure relief channel looks good value.

Russell

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Well, I've had a serious look around. Read the manufacturers sites, read the reviews and taken on board all of the information disseminated by strangers on the Internet. One name (and pretty much one saddle) kept cropping up in relation to the broad of beam and sturdy of build road bloke who likes doing more than hour at a stretch.

I know I've got to try these things out 'in the flesh' so to speak, so I'll start with the Specialized Romin Evo Expert Gel.

I also so I'll probably get reamed for buying Spesh, what with having dismissed their bikes out of hand in the run up to buying the KTM, but it does beggar belief that no other saddle manufacturer seems to simply do different widths of each of their saddles AND clearly label things like the intended style of riding, level of padding etc.

We'll see how it goes. :smile:

Russell

Kajjal

Guru
This comes in 155 size and has a good sized cutaway.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized...ign=Adwords&gclid=CPuArZ_s5ssCFc1uGwodySMALA#

I can ride for a good few hours on mine fine in the size you mention.

vickster

Legendary Member
Women's saddles all come in 155mm width. I'm sure there would be a shape to suit

Nothing wrong with using a Specialized saddle, although the one I had was the most uncomfortable saddle ever bought (and the most expensive)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
it does beggar belief that no other saddle manufacturer seems to simply do different widths of each of their saddles AND clearly label things like the intended style of riding, level of padding etc
I'm pretty sure Selle Royal label their saddles with widths, lengths and intended styles, although sometimes the width variations are mislabelled as genders. The main complaint I have with them is that the line-up changes too quickly and by the time you're sure a saddle is right for you, it's discontinued!

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Women's saddles all come in 155mm width. I'm sure there would be a shape to suit

Nothing wrong with using a Specialized saddle, although the one I had was the most uncomfortable saddle ever bought (and the most expensive)

So you're saying I've got a womans butt? I'd object, but apparently my arse and legs look good in a skirt...

The Spesh cost £90 and the SLR was £115 (albeit it's standard spec on the KTM, so I didn't really pay that) so theoretically, the Spesh isn't the most expensive saddle I've owned. Then again, a £30 saddle is expensive if it doesn't fit, is what I seem to have learned - That trinket on the B'Twin MTB has cause to be worried, for instance. Three hours on that and I was ready to have my arse amputated!

As I was off today and the weather was on my side, I went out for a 52 mile lap of rural Cambridgeshire, taking in plenty of flat (there is PLENTY of flat), plus three of what passes for major climbs (for any locals looking in - Boxworth, Granhams Hill and Gog Magog) around these parts. I'd set the saddle to (broadly) level and mirrored the setback of the Selle Italia, but after a couple of adjustment stops, I'd adjusted it forward 5mm, the seatpost up 5mm and the nose up a couple of degrees - There is level and then there is level, or so it would seem with a saddle that curves front to back.

Aside from a bit of chafing around the chaps, which is more to do with my man forest maintenance, I ended up with no sore pressure points. Of course, I knew I'd been cycling for over three and a half hours, but as I sit here now, I'd have no fear of getting back on the bike tomorrow. The legs might have other ideas, but I'd say that's job done. :smile:

Russell

Last edited:
OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Well, it's the best fitting saddle I've had to date, but I'm not ruling out that there could be better. However, you gotta start somewhere. :smile:

Russell

Top Bottom