16" wheel folder options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gpx001

Über Member
Hi, I have recently changed car to one with a smaller boot

My trusty 20" wheel Ridgeback attache squeezes in but I think a 16" wheel folder would be a better long term solution as I can relocate the parcel shelf, etc

I've done a bit of web browsing to see what's available (I don't think my budget can stretch to a Brommie) and the Bickerton Pilot looks reasonable. However does anyone know of any other options?

Thanks

Jason

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are you sure you would be happy with the ride on a 16" bike?

Kell

Veteran
If it helps at all, we've got a convertible (BMW) Mini and a folded Brompton goes in there as if it was designed to.

Not sure any of the other bikes I've seen on the trains in the mornings would with the possible exception of the Hummingbird.

Yellow.jpg
HBprobuild_CI_Image_2.jpg

However, while it folds small, it's like a lot of other brands in that the front wheel has to come off, and the in this case the seat post needs to be removed.

And there is the little matter of the price tag. If you say you can't stretch to a Brompton, the price of a Hummingbird is going to shock you.

https://www.ubyk.co.uk/hummingbird-...v41HJzYHhraVoJ72mZea00IEch27UCLBoCLzoQAvD_BwE

Attachments

• HBprobuild_CI_Image_2.jpg
    HBprobuild_CI_Image_2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gpx001

Über Member
Thanks for the replies.
Wowzers! Super bit of kit with a price to match.
Cycleops - I'm ok with the ride with a 16" wheel. Prefer 20" but that could be down to years of riding with them compared to minutes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Since the patent on the Brompton fold has long expired, I'm surprised everyone doesn't use it. Brompton, who are a litigious bunch, have sued rivals using copyright law instead but surely this can only go so far? Maybe they can just afford better lawyers than Dahon et al.

User66445

The Brompton remains the yardstick against which all others are measured. It has its flaws, but the Brompton fold remains state of the art

chriscross1966

Über Member
Since the patent on the Brompton fold has long expired, I'm surprised everyone doesn't use it. Brompton, who are a litigious bunch, have sued rivals using copyright law instead but surely this can only go so far? Maybe they can just afford better lawyers than Dahon et al.
As all the folks who have tried have discovered, the Brompton frame fold is dependant on fairly precise engineering tolerances. The cheap knockoffs based on the old Neobike tooling or the Merc alloy replica frame ended up javing to spend a lot just to get their frame working that the only way they could make the bikes cheaper was to use rubbish components.. which killed their reputations fast. The Neobike frames arent too bad, build it up with Brompton spec bits and you have a heavy Brompton, do it with a Merc and you have a heavy Brompton with harsh handling... it's why you find titanium replica frames coming out of the Chinese titanium factories... they know they have a market to the fanboys wanting to build uber Bromptons, but there is no market for a 3500 quid 7.5kg production 2-speed or a 2500 2-speed built with dreadful components at 8.5kg...

Top Bottom