160 mm or 140 mm rotors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I hoping that with the design (cooling ducts) and the construction of the Shimano Ice Tech rotors, it should ease any heat dissipation related issues?

Ice-Tech rotors are a two-piece floating design for increased stiffness and they feature a 3-layer construction. There's an aluminium core sandwiched between two stainless steel outer layers. Aluminium dissipates heat quickly which works perfectly for braking. ... Materials: Stainless steel and aluminum.

Chislenko

Veteran
If I was having a frame built it would be with a front disc for stopping power and a rim brake on the back for ease of wheel removal and replacement. Rear disc brakes are overkill, you just don't need them.

Good idea Joe, let's face it that's how cars were for a long time, discs on the front, drums on the rear as 80% of the braking is done by the front, the rear being mostly for the handbrake. Must admit when I cycle I seldom use the back brake.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Other than the fact you would have to have different shaped levers, and I mean completely different shaped!
If the disc is hydro, as most of the decent ones are, yes.

It would be a very niche solution, only really achievable in real life (on a drop bar bike) with a replacement fork with disc mounts and say TPR spyre cable discs or HY/RD cable operated hydro's, and you'd still en up with a odd wheelset, so a bit Meh!

Alex321

Veteran
If I was having a frame built it would be with a front disc for stopping power and a rim brake on the back for ease of wheel removal and replacement. Rear disc brakes are overkill, you just don't need them.
While rear disc brakes are probably overkill, I find them easier to remove the wheel, not harder.

Unless you are equating disk brakes with through axles and rim brakes with quick release, neither of which are universal.

Personally, I'd rather have the ease of maintenance that comes from having both the same, even if rim brakes on the rear would be good enough.

monkers

Veteran
I hoping that with the design (cooling ducts) and the construction of the Shimano Ice Tech rotors, it should ease any heat dissipation related issues?

Ice-Tech rotors are a two-piece floating design for increased stiffness and they feature a 3-layer construction. There's an aluminium core sandwiched between two stainless steel outer layers. Aluminium dissipates heat quickly which works perfectly for braking. ... Materials: Stainless steel and aluminum.

Hi Alan

Have you bought or ordered the Ice-Tech rotors as yet? I have been reading that Shimano are admitting to having a problem with them. Peak torque made a review film about them on Youtube - it might be worth viewing before deciding. I've also heard they have been in very short supply.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Hi Alan

Have you bought or ordered the Ice-Tech rotors as yet? I have been reading that Shimano are admitting to having a problem with them. Peak torque made a review film about them on Youtube - it might be worth viewing before deciding. I've also heard they have been in very short supply.

Oh......interesting, but yes I have them on order but nothing to say that I cannot return them. I'll nip over to YouTube and watch the review film thanks for the heads up!

Will Spin

Über Member
I built a bike earlier this year with 160mm front and 140mm rear rotors. On a whim I decided to change the front rotor to 140mm, mainly to see if it altered the dreaded disc brake squeal when riding on the wet (still untested as yet as we haven't had much rain for the past month). I found it's quite easy to change the rotor size as the front caliper mounting bracket has 140 or 160 mm mounting positions. So, you could try both to see which is best for you.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So after to speaking to my LBS yesterday it seems that the Dura Ace SM-RT900 rotors have now been discontinued? The replacement rotor is the RM-MT900 XTR

On the plus side, my FFWD RYOT 44 wheels have arrived, pity I dont have a bike to fit them to :laugh:

monkers

Veteran
So after to speaking to my LBS yesterday it seems that the Dura Ace SM-RT900 rotors have now been discontinued? The replacement rotor is the RM-MT900 XTR

On the plus side, my FFWD RYOT 44 wheels have arrived, pity I dont have a bike to fit them to :laugh:

I think that rotor is the existing mountain bike rotor?

The FFWDs look interesting. Did you buy the ZED wheels for the other bike?

Top Bottom