160 mm or 140 mm rotors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I think that rotor is the existing mountain bike rotor?

Thats correct, I suspect that its a case of stream lining production and one rotor fits more than one application, which make sense really.

The FFWDs look interesting. Did you buy the ZED wheels for the other bike?
The FFWD RYOT do look a great set of wheels, internal rim width of 21mm. So plenty of scope for a huge range of tyre widths.

As for the ZED wheels, after a few short messages backwards and forwards often with a delay of days waiting for a response. Given the problems I had experienced with the 36 UD Hunt wheels and the out of balance feeling, I asked some very specific questions about the wheels but I never got a response.

So to be honest I gave up, his loss not mine

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
You're welcome.

I should have posted a link to make life easier - so I'll post it here now in case others are interested.

View: https://youtu.be/utMchnpW1vo

I've now had a proper chance to watch and digest it all. It was going okay till he states that he is now designing and selling his own rotor, so of course everyone else's rotors will be rubbish as he has learnt from Shimano so has designed and made his so much better.

All I would say is that I did circa 8000 miles on some pretty rough terrain and never experienced any such problems. Maybe I was just lucky?

monkers

Veteran
I've now had a proper chance to watch and digest it all. It was going okay till he states that he is now designing and selling his own rotor, so of course everyone else's rotors will be rubbish as he has learnt from Shimano so has designed and made his so much better.

All I would say is that I did circa 8000 miles on some pretty rough terrain and never experienced any such problems. Maybe I was just lucky?

Hi Alan

To be fair, a small amount of googling does bring up plenty of other people who have experienced problems including a certain Mr Christopher Froome, but he'll no doubt be punishing brakes harder than we ever will. I do personally know one person who rubbed out their ice tech rotors very quickly, but it has to be acknowledged that they are a heavier rider. I also did see an acknowledgement from Shimano that they have seen problems with these rotors.

Peak Torque did talk about making his own solid rotors, though I don't know that he has actually done so. I wouldn't actually buy rotors from him myself either - I'd prefer something more tried and tested with the backing of a company with resources for such safety related items.

I mentioned it because, as I said at the time, I'd heard there has been supply issues too. My other half has changed her rotors from Shimano to Sram which have been very good indeed - they still screech when wet though.

I'm still on rim brakes and they stop me perfectly at the speeds I can achieve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
On the plus side, the lead time quoted for the rotors is mid October this year. Unlike the quoted leadtime for the group set is October 2023!!!

To be honest, if l had the option l would stay with rim brakes, but most of the big bike manufacturers have dropped rim brakes in favour of discs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom