17.5 Miles in 70 mins, Any good?|

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graemeb1783

Started cycling for first time since I was a kid last week and just looking to guage some opinion on how im doing.

I have a Carrera Subway 2 on cycle 2 work scheme

I have been cycling to work which is Dundee to St Andrews distance of about 17.5 Miles

There are quite a few up and downhills and I have been doing it in around 70-75 mins is this a decent pace and am I likely to improve on this much the more I do it.

any feedback would be great

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
average speed of 15mph, thats not bad if you haven't cycled since you were a kid.

some people on here are more than happy to ride slower than that.

will you get quicker?... if thats what you want. the joy of cycling is that you can pick your own pace. you don't have to race everywhere.

how are you feeling after this ?? are you pushing yourself or taking it easy ???

OP
OP
G

Graemeb1783

average speed of 15mph, thats not bad if you haven't cycled since you were a kid.

some people on here are more than happy to ride slower than that.

will you get quicker?... if thats what you want. the joy of cycling is that you can pick your own pace. you don't have to race everywhere.

how are you feeling after this ?? are you pushing yourself or taking it easy ???

Well the last 4 miles is a constant incline and given that its after a 10 hour shift as a cop I do feel tired after it but recover fairly quickly afterwards.

I have been feeling my left knee quite a bit but think this was caused by seat height not being correct initially

My first week on bike I have done 155 miles

ACS

Legendary Member
Started cycling for first time since I was a kid last week and just looking to guage some opinion on how im doing.

I have a Carrera Subway 2 on cycle 2 work scheme

I have been cycling to work which is Dundee to St Andrews distance of about 17.5 Miles

There are quite a few up and downhills and I have been doing it in around 70-75 mins is this a decent pace and am I likely to improve on this much the more I do it.

any feedback would be great

Chuffin' hell that makes 3 of us; you from Dundee, me (on a Tricross) and Trek man from the Cupar area. St Andrews is really becoming a hive of commuter activity.
ohmy.gif

I'll give you a shout if I can keep up with you.
biggrin.gif

Pigo

Yep, that's great seeing as you've only just started! My commute is the same distance - when I first done it (on my trusty ole mtb) it would take me nearly an hour & half....I only have 1 big hill too! Now I average around 70 plus but have a pb of 64 mins (on the way home....going down the 1 big hill!) keep it up & you'll be flying in no time.

gallego1968

My average speed is around 14-15mph and i have only got back into cycling last month. I now feel i can do more as now 10 miles is nothing as my legs and bum have got used to it.

WychwoodTrev

Hi ya 'Graemeb1783
Thats a prety quick time for a newbie you must be a quite fit bloke, When I started back on cycling in Feb I could only manage 5 miles in around 20 mins and allmost collapsed at the end of it
Keep up the good work and most of all enjoy you ride :thumbsup:

MoG

Veteran
Damn good going mate. Know that route from my 8 years spent at Leuchars. Do they have a cycling lane over the Tay bridge now?

Top Bottom