18mph in cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Just show him videos of the door zone.
In raility you can't argue against someone who doesn't want to a. listen b. understand.

Well you can argue, but you can't discuss sensibly. :smile:

I got an email from British Cycling the other day about some kind of on road training. It talked about Primary & Secondary etc. Have a dig around the British Cycling website to see if you can find their advice.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I think 18mph on a shared use facility is way too fast; dangerous for everyone.
It's hard to set a guideline, as conditions vary, but I wouldn't be comfortable going more than 12mph.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
I think 18mph on a shared use facility is way too fast; dangerous for everyone.
It's hard to set a guideline, as conditions vary, but I wouldn't be comfortable going more than 12mph.

I don't like using cycle lanes full stop. they put me in a dangerous situation, even shared use as there are Dog hazards, not to mention the broken glass etc.

I am a vehicle and i am perfectly entitled to use the road . :biggrin:

sabian92

Über Member
You can show him all the proof in the world but unfortunately he sounds like a knob who doesn't want to listen regardless if you are right or wrong.

I never use cycle lanes (the fact there are none where I live is not the point...:whistle:), and the one time I did I ended up doing 25mph down a massively wide cycle lane with nobody on it, 2 girls came out of nowhere and I nearly killed the buggers. It scared me enough to avoid them where I can because If I hadn't have braked and managed to dart between them I'd have hit one each with the bars. The road is busy (B road) with loads of lorries on so I'm a bit stuck as to where I'm supposed to ride!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=fXyaWHhnSjuynKdko8WR1w&cbp=12,145.07,,0,4.93 Look at the left hand side and that's the path I'm talking about. Dead straight for over a mile and I still nearly managed to kill myself/2 other people. :blush:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't like using cycle lanes full stop. they put me in a dangerous situation, even shared use as there are Dog hazards, not to mention the broken glass etc.

I am a vehicle and i am perfectly entitled to use the road . :biggrin:

I agree, especially with my bolded section.
Sometimes you do find a cycle lane that is useful and well designed, but it's pretty rare.

I do use a shared path when I have my son on the back, rather than use the dual carriageway, but I wish I didn't.

I think they can sometimes be useful to people just staring out who need to build up their confidence.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
I agree, especially with my bolded section.
Sometimes you do find a cycle lane that is useful and well designed, but it's pretty rare.

I do use a shared path when I have my son on the back, rather than use the dual carriageway, but I wish I didn't.

I think they can sometimes be useful to people just staring out who need to build up their confidence.

sadly in this end Of waltham forest cycle lanes are of the deadly variety. when i have the trailgator on and my 3 yr old on the back its very much a ride primary near parked cars.

they do have their place , but on road cycle lanes in the Uk are woeful and drivers need to be educated. haven't seen muych of thsat from TfL or the LCC ( whatever the LCC might be called this week)

Institute of Advanced Motorists Factsheet 17/001 - Sharing the road with cyclists

Cyclists are advised to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to ensure they are in the right place at the right time. If they ride in the middle of the road it is probably not to obstruct your path, but to ensure that they are seen by you and by other motorists.

Cyclists often ride at some distance from the kerb to avoid drains and potholes and to discourage motorists from squeezing them on narrow roads. It is not in their interest to delay motorists deliberately. Remember too that their ability to signal is limited compared to ours, so try to anticipate what they might do from the position they have taken on the road. Please be patient.

Again remind him he seems to be unaware of the most basic driving techniquues

Top Bottom