1940s Raleigh rescue - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robsa

Über Member
Thank you Chris. You've done miracles with those two of yours.
According to the number on the frame of the rudge its 1948. There was also 48 stamped onto the bottom bracket axel as well. The dynohub is dated February 1950 but I think at some stage shes had a major refurb when the wheels and chainguard where replaced, as the front wheel says made in France and it has evidence of having had a full chain case ( there's a groove worn into the back of the drive side crank) fitted .
Like you, I've tried to restore this on a budget. Set myself a target of £50,
Bought the bike for £20 off fleabay . £15 on paint £7 on saddle £5 on tyre £2 on cotters £5 on a set of transfers £2 on bearings and a couple of quid here and there on odds and sods. So a bit over budget,and by the time Ive managed to get the sprocket sorted ( its worn out and I want to swap it for a 22 tooth instead of the 18 what's on it as Derbyshire is a tad hilly) I'm guessing I will be well over but ,hey ive had an brilliant time restoring it its reminded me of when I used to work in engineering and had job satisfaction

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well done on keeping roughly to budget @robsa! It is definitely a challenge... if you include all the bits and bobs like sandpaper, paint brush and brush cleaner, teflon grease etc etc then I've gone way over budget. This wasn't helped by discovering I needed a new brake stirrup for the finished bike, and now new wheels for the work in progress! Depending on how much the wheels cost, I think it will come in somewhere around the £160 mark for the pair - but at least I'll have plenty of paint, grease, bearings etc left over for future projects. Considering that it's kept me tinkering away for several months now and that the finished bikes are really rather nice, I think it's worth it - and like you say, there's the satisfaction of a job well done at the end :smile:

A 22t rear sprocket sounds like a very good switch. I will probably do the same with the new rear wheel on mine, especially since I'll be keeping it as a single speed. I'm especially impressed with the state of all the chromed parts on your bike, it looks showroom fresh in the pics you posted. Have you put it through its paces on any nice rides yet? Bet you get some appreciative comments when you do! My favourite so far was from a chap on a full carbon blingy racer who shot past, then slowed down to let me catch up. He asked a few questions about the bike and how I did it up, and his end verdict before shooting off agains was: "Lovely bike - but I'm not going to swap!". That's all right though - I'm not sure I would either :smile:

robsa

Über Member
Cheers Chris ,no not been out on it yet the chain is too long but I'm hoping the bigger sprocket will take up a lot of that. To be honest, the chrome is pretty bad most of it is pitted or worn off , ive polished it with wire wool and autosol then sealed it with danish oil to try and stop the rust breaking out again. Quite pleased with paint job,I used to be an industrial sprayer but have never used rattle cans . Stripped the bike completely down rubbed her down, gave every bit a coat of kurust then 2 coats of deco paint from aldi ( if you see it grab it its damned good stuff) then another 2 coats with rustoleum artists black ( not impressed) ive added a couple of close ups on the chrome, its pretty crappie. Luckily, everything was on the bike and serviceable so that has cut a lot of expense. Going to use this to go on the monsal trail up Bakewell

Attachments

• WP_20150510_002.jpg
    WP_20150510_002.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 64
  • WP_20150510_004.jpg
    WP_20150510_004.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 55
  • WP_20150510_003.jpg
    WP_20150510_003.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

robsa

Über Member
Bike came with this old rack on it. Says midlands sports model, now, do I fettle this up and put it back on or not?

Attachments

• WP_20150510_007.jpg
    WP_20150510_007.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hmm, I think I prefer the cleaner lines you get without a rack... but if you plan on using the bike a lot and a rack will come in handy, go for it! Should look perfectly smart with a fresh coat of paint on.

robsa

Über Member
Had a potter round on the bike as a post rebuild shake down.
Chain is rubbing on the chain guard but I've got that to sort out on account of it being to long.
Weird pptick pptick pptick sound from the back wheel, the flipping inner tube inflator catching a brake block. The handlebars went out of alignment because I hit them with my knees as I turned.
Other than that ran very nicely

robsa

Über Member
Had to fashion two brackets up as the backtyre was rubbing on the reflector bolt. Went to car boot on Sunday and saw another mudguard stay for 20p so bought it for spare. Just got round to offering it up along the old one and its about an inch longer so its time to swap .
Lord knows how long its had the wrong one on

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, I had a few "moments" when my knees hit the handlebars trying to turn a corner - it is certainly a very different style of riding!

Good luck with the rest of the fettling :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Finally making progress with locating some suitable wheels for the 1937 28" Roadster. Flying Pigeon have unearthed an old set for me from their warehouse, needs double checking but hopefully will be good! Just need tyres/tubes (white sidewall, naturally) a sprocket and a new chain and I can finally start the re-build :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Ebay is nerve wracking!

But it's worth it this time... I've just managed to get hold of a pair of 28" Westwood wheels for the 1937 roadster :smile: Looks like they will need a touch of surface de-rusting, and possibly new tyres later on down the line, but hopefully they will be in good condition when they arrive (photos looked fine).

Best of all, the rear hub is a three speed SA, and the front a dynamo hub, supplied with SA front lamp :biggrin: I'm already planning on getting hold of a nice old quadrant shifter for the top tube, and maybe a rear light too. Then probably a hockey stick chain guard, new outer casing for the original bell, might want to swap the sprocket out for one with a couple of extra teeth... the original budget is toast, but at least the cost is being spread out over a nice long time!

robsa

Über Member
Hi Chris, poaching your thread again.
Now, as a discerning man of style and taste I'd like your opinion.
Ive fettled the rack up and refit it.
Do you think it suits or spoils the lines?

Top Bottom