1940s Raleigh rescue - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nice choice @mjr. I think they look great on the right sort of bike, and they're dead comfy too.

Having revisited this thread I can give a status update on the two bikes.

I was planning to sell on the 1950s Sport and keep the '37 Popular.... but once I'd posted the ad on Gumtree (and here on CC, in fact) and took the bike for a quick ride to check all was in working order I felt a little tugging at the heart strings and realised I really didn't want to sell it on. So the '50s Sport has been pootling around the Devon country lanes all Summer and has been a joy to own and ride. So pleased I embarked on the restoration and very grateful for all the help I received on here!

Although I was intending to keep the '37 Popular, and I suppose it's probably the "nicer" of the two bikes, I never bonded with it in quite the same way as the '50s Sport. Somehow it just wasn't quite as much fun! (maybe this has something to do with the huge wheels.... I really can't get on with 29er MTBs, they feel boring!). So I sold this one on a couple of months ago to a nice chap who's building up a vintage bike collection. He seemed very pleased with it and was talking about stripping down the front dynohub to get the light working at full power again, so I think it's gone to a good home.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I know what you mean about bike fun not necessarily being about how "nice" the bike is. Anyway, here's a pic of the Riv in roughly its current setup with the mattress saddle, crossing the tail sluice earlier this summer after delivering a basketful of referendum leaflets ;)
tailsluiceriv.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
DSCN0038.JPG
I think I know what you mean about bike fun not necessarily being about how "nice" the bike is. Anyway, here's a pic of the Riv in roughly its current setup with the mattress saddle, crossing the tail sluice earlier this summer after delivering a basketful of referendum leaflets ;)
View attachment 149335
Everybody should have a 3spd SA bike sometime, this is my current one,

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just been out for a short ride on the Sports this afternoon. It won't be too long before it'll be too dark to fit in any rides from the front door after work (and in any case rod brakes seem to be at their best outside of the winter months), so thought I'd make the most of finishing early on a Friday :smile:

I've been trying for a while to take some pictures to capture that carefree feeling of trundling slowly along the country lanes, watching the oak and ash roll past and looking up at the starling starting to flock over the fields... these two are the closest I've come yet. but you can tell I'm no photographer!

P1080614.JPG

P1080619.JPG

Top Bottom