1940s Raleigh rescue - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@robsa, no, but I found they naturally adopted this profile quite quickly after I'd been out on a few rides and done a few good stops. Once they had done, the stopping power was a lot better, as you'd expect. TBH the pads I'm using seem to be quite soft, they have very noticeable wear after only a few hundred miles (I usually get a couple of thousand out of my commuter's canti brake pads).

tyred

Legendary Member
I think the pads available for rod brakes today are mostly junk with an alarmingly short life.

tyred

Legendary Member
Might try some Fibrax next time I need to buy. I had bought some from Ebay which don't appear to wear very well but I am now the proud owner of a card of NOS Raleigh Raincheaters bought for €2 from a car boot sale :smile:

When I rebuilt my prewar Elswick, the rims were sound and true but very rusty on the brake tracks where the chrome had worn away. I had the bright idea to leave it like that thinking the brakes would work better in the rain. The brakes were absolutely fantastic due to the roughness of the rims but I wore out a set of front pads in a single 20 ride!

tyred

Legendary Member
Interesting. I've only heard of Fibrax Raincheaters... was it made under Raleigh's brand or was the name generic?

They're just described as Raincheaters. I had always associated that name with Raleigh as if you look at the old Raleigh catalogues the proudly state that their bikes come with Raincheater brake blocks. Even if they were branded by Raleigh, they were most probably made by Fibrax.

Might try some Fibrax next time I need to buy. I had bought some from Ebay which don't appear to wear very well but I am now the proud owner of a card of NOS Raleigh Raincheaters bought for €2 from a car boot sale :smile:

When I rebuilt my prewar Elswick, the rims were sound and true but very rusty on the brake tracks where the chrome had worn away. I had the bright idea to leave it like that thinking the brakes would work better in the rain. The brakes were absolutely fantastic due to the roughness of the rims but I wore out a set of front pads in a single 20 ride!
I can remember that you could peel the chrome off when the wheel was rusty. You had to be careful as it could be as sharp as a razor.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They're just described as Raincheaters. I had always associated that name with Raleigh as if you look at the old Raleigh catalogues the proudly state that their bikes come with Raincheater brake blocks. Even if they were branded by Raleigh, they were most probably made by Fibrax.
Ah, it's been a few bikes since I had a Raleigh, but Raincheaters did me good service for many years after that. They're still available :smile: http://www.fibrax.com/rim-pads/road/complete-blocks-TEMP-3433/raincheater-caliper-blocks

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just had another quick go at the bike - the front rod brakes are now... well, functioning is probably the right word. Still need to faff around a bit with the clips on the forks to get the pad alignment right, and also badly need to get rid of (or at least reduce) the hop on one point of the rim - it's like having ABS at the moment!

The front dynohub also has a little more play left in it than I'd like, but as far as I can make out the square tabbed washer thingamabob on the adjustable cone only allows for 90 degree steps in the adjustment, and 90 degrees clockwise causes the hub to bind a little, so I guess I'm stuck with this.

I also changed the routing of the gear cable so that it follows the lines of the frame much more nicely (needed to prise apart the pulley clamp a bit and use an extra long bolt, but it looks OK).

No pics just yet since I need to touch up the paint where I've scraped it on the forks and chainstays putting on the rod brake clamps (and all over the place resting the frame against the workbench, misplacing various clamps etc etc). I'll try and get some glamour shots on it's maiden voyage though :smile:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, it's been nearly a year since I picked up these two bikes, but I think they are both finally rescued :smile:

I took out the 1937 one for it's maiden voyage today, a lovely ten mile pootle through the country lanes around our village. When I picked up a bit of speed over some bumpy ground the bike's bell started spontaneously dinging, to me it sounded like it was very pleased with it's new wheels and paint job and all excited to be out enjoying the country lanes again. (I was also quite pleased to be back on a bike myself after a mountain biking crash a couple of weeks ago - though I can definitely feel it in my knee right now).

I had quite high hopes for this one with the larger frame and 28" wheels, and I wasn't disappointed - it rides like an absolute dream. The riding position is markedly more upright than the 26" wheel sports model, which I like, and the beautifully smooth ride makes up for the extra few pounds you can feel you're lugging around. Having a three speed hub totally makes up for the difference in weight, and makes the ride a lot more enjoyable when you hit a hill, and the old style shifter is great fun to use... plus there's that lovely tick-tick-tick in the background.

P1050573.JPG

P1050575.JPG

Everything's running very nicely indeed so far, just need to tweak the chain tension up a little. The gearing is still a touch high for me, it is basically a two speed with a silly-high top gear at the moment. I think I have a 19t sprocket on at the moment, and will probably treat the bike to a 22t one for xmas - with luck I may even be able to get away with using the same chain. The dynohub and front light are up and running and I've ordered a suitable rear light to wire up as well (since it'll be getting dark pretty early soon and I'd like to take the odd evening ride). An LED conversion may be on the cards later down the line.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks @robsa! The quadrant shifters are great aren't they, I definitely prefer them to the modern type shifters for a golden oldie rebuild. They seem to come up on ebay quite regularly (and are easy enough to clean up if they're a bit tatty), although they do see to have kept their value shall we say!

How are you getting on with your roadster? Would love to see some more pics if you've got any nice ones since the last batch.

Top Bottom