1940s Raleigh rescue - Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Red wheels, as promised:

P1030015.JPG

Just need to buy a couple of replacement bolts that sheared off when I stripped the frame down, and then I can re-assemble :smile:

I'm still missing the front rod brake stirrup - I found a possible replacement part, but not sure if I can make use of it... because I can't seem to remove the old (broken) front brake! It *looks* like once you've loosened the locking nut (not pictured below, I've taken it off) the brake part should slide off the thinner rod (which is attached to the brake lever on the bars). Am I missing something silly here..?

P1030035.JPG P1030038.JPG

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com/cycleshop/sparepart.htm makes me think you're right that it should slide off but do you need to extract what the nut was on?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Red wheels, as promised:
10380150_10101050643020129_5185338135255545901_o.jpg

Just need to buy a couple of replacement bolts that sheared off when I stripped the frame down, and then I can re-assemble :smile:

I'm still missing the front rod brake stirrup - I found a possible replacement part, but not sure if I can make use of it... because I can't seem to remove the old (broken) front brake! It *looks* like once you've loosened the locking nut (not pictured below, I've taken it off) the brake part should slide off the thinner rod (which is attached to the brake lever on the bars). Am I missing something silly here..?
10801686_10101050643114939_7029304312591500256_n.jpg
10931263_10101050643159849_4074256412134817823_n.jpg
Tap the end of the bolt with a hammer to release it slightly but you can bet its rusted solid inside, so a bit of penetrating oil (for a couple of days) and then a blowtorch.................rest and repeat but go gently it doesn't take much to snap the rod when you're trying to free it if you try twisting it to loosen it off.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the suggestions!

I've already given the bolt a few good solid taps with a hammer, and squirted in some GT85 as suggested - I don't have a blowtorch, but can try over a gas hob, and cross fingers.

The cycles of yesteryear site looks excellent, thanks for flagging this up. Will probably get some new brake blocks and cotter pins from here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've already given the bolt a few good solid taps with a hammer, and squirted in some GT85 as suggested - I don't have a blowtorch, but can try over a gas hob, and cross fingers.
I found Halfords (urrrrrgh ;) ) "Shock and Unlock" (a plusgas rip-off I think, in with the car supplies rather than the cycling stuff) shifted my corroded stem and finally allowed me to straighten the bars and do other maintenance. Better than GT85 but it didn't work on corroded mudguard bolts.

You're very welcome to the cycles of yesteryear. It was my plan B if a suitable hub-geared bike didn't appear on sale.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Started putting the bits together - need to go and buy a few more bolts tomorrow to replace some of the ones that sheared.
Getting the wheels to spin freely is a bit of an art, since the hub axles don't have locknuts, but are held in place by the nuts holding the axle into the dropouts.
A little more fettling and it may even get a brakeless gentle test run over the weekend :smile:

P1030046.JPG

P1030059.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks a lot! The only tricky job left to do is to sort the front brake out, but yes, the end is in sight. No rest for the wicked (well, OK, obsessive) though, I'll be starting work on its older brother next!

I'm already on the lookout for a suitable flat cap and V-neck tank top for the maiden voyage ;)

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, five minutes with a hacksaw, and I've got the offending broken rod brake sleeve off of the handlebars. Just ordering a new set of stirrups and clips now, which should finish the job nicely.

Also need to choose a seat... what do people reckon?
mG8w-TLywGL_JWWkitDSTqQ.jpg
:
mI-R1kqOnD9aGdpcyqRWlJQ.jpg
mu99vpvRQEekgDeIrkqLIWQ.jpg

If I went for either of the first two, I'd paint the rails/springs in black to tone them down a bit. I did look at getting a B66, but my eyes are still rolling around on the floor after seeing the price tag... the ones above are all under a tenner.

Top Bottom