1950 Bianchi Folgore (I think!) - Cambio Corsa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
@Specialeyes wow

That looks like a "milremo" stem a thing of beauty in itself .

I am lost for words re those gear levers they look fun and should be kept and used

dont let @woodbutcher see this post
I see it, l see it.......lm going to lay down for a while in a darkened room and hope that all envious and disreputable thoughts leave my tortured mind:banghead:

woodbutcher

Veteran
So, I went to Italy for my 50th last weekend, and came away with this little beauty. As far as I can work out, it's a Folgore, not a Folgorissima as the latter had the single-lever Campagnolo Paris-Roubaix changer, while this has the 2-lever Cambio Corsa. The frame number dates it to 1950/51, but any input or further suggestions gratefully received.

It's a beautifully simple system, if a little endangering for fingers. The longer lever acts like an extended QR skewer which you release while not pedalling. You then back-pedal and use the second lever to nudge the chain onto the required sprocket at the back, before retightening the QR. The dropouts are about 3 inches long and angled slightly downwards, so the chain tension is maintained by the whole wheel sliding back and forth within the dropout, forced into place by the rider's weight. It's kept square by having a toothed top surface.

It's very elegant and very simple but does mean that the 4 sprockets cover the range of 16 - 20 teeth, so it certainly puts hairs on yer chest.

I've ordered some decals (which it probably didn't have originally) , but I'm not considering respraying or rechroming as I think a 67 year old bike shouldn't look brand new.

So this weekend I've:
  • Replaced cables and outers
  • Cleaned both rims and re-glued tubs
  • Fitted new cotton bar tape
  • Fitted a new chain (KMC 1/2 x 3/32 work beautifully as the pins are almost totally flush, so don't catch on the chain guide)
  • Fitted vintage bottle cage and bottle
  • Fitted new old toe straps

I also put a pair of brown rubber hoods I had lying around on the brake levers, but I'm now wondering if they look too modern, being from a 70s lever.
I'm also wondering about the stem, but realise I'm now definitely over-thinking this!

I do fully intend on using the bike, not hanging it on the wall - though essentially as a singlespeed, in the 20t sprocket.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

I absolutely love your Bianchi and am very, very envious. Italian bikes are my obsession/passion but l don't yet have a Bianchi. I thought you might find this interesting http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101717

I absolutely love your Bianchi and am very, very envious. Italian bikes are my obsession/passion but l don't yet have a Bianchi. I thought you might find this interesting http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101717

As a relative newcomer to this hallowed place, I honestly do find the in-depth knowledge of so many of you to be absolutely astonishing! I doubt if Specialeyes would or could have ever expected to see such an amazing link to the gobsmacking bike he has bought on his (oh so young) birthday.

I need to go and lie down!

Last edited:
Top Bottom