1951 Rudge Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tyred said:
All I need now is the right gear - plus fours, vee-neck tank top, tie, tweed jacket, flat cap, pipe and an ounce of Player's Navy Cut :blush:

See here - tweed with a handy reflective thread woven in!

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/about/

How about:

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/tailoredoutfits/tailored-outfits-sub1/

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
We've just had a complete and original, one owner 1947 gents Rudge donated that really needs to go to a good home.

Can either be serviced and used as is or restored.

Just out of interest, does it have a "steering lock?"

Mine doesn't and I've been informed by my firend who collects catalogues as well as bikes that mine is very odd as Rudge sat at the top of the Raleigh range at the time and they almost always had a lock on the forks and a 4 speed hub and the DBU. A model specced like mine is not in the post war Rudge catalogues. A couple of explanations being offered is that mine must be an ex-police bike (but they didn't have a full chainguard) or that it was one of several batches of bikes bought by the Catholic church over the years in Ireland and supplied to parish priests (but they were invariably built at Hanover Quay in Dublin, mine is definitely Nottingham).:angry:

Davidc

Guru
Is it possible that your grandad didn't buy it brand new as catalogue, but got it second hand from an organisation which had ordered to their own spec.?

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
Is it possible that your grandad didn't buy it brand new as catalogue, but got it second hand from an organisation which had ordered to their own spec.?

I would say you're right. The other oddity (although it could easily have been fitted later) is the Dunlop rubber saddle. I understand that these are usually found on shop bikes, etc due to their water proof nature. A purely civilian spec Rudge would have had a Brooks.

GrahamNR17

Congrats on bringing the Rudge back from the dead. I hope you get many years enjoyment from it :sad:

I've been sitting looking at my half-restored James for the last 6 weeks with my arm in plaster, so I'm chomping at the bit to get out in the garage for some proper tinkering :biggrin:

TonyH

I have a old Rudge bike from mid 20th Century.

It is in need of some tlc, and I was so impressed by your rebuild that I thought I'd offer by bike to anyone who wanted a similar renovation project.

tyred said:
I've been rebuilding my Grandad's old three speed in my spare time over the winter. Here are some pics if anyone is interested.

]

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
TonyH said:
It is in need of some tlc, and I was so impressed by your rebuild that I thought I'd offer by bike to anyone who wanted a similar renovation project.

Thank you. I've now got a NOS mudguard and will fit at the weekend and i also want to try and make the pedals look a little more presentable.

What type of bike is that you have?

TonyH

I have a old Rudge bike from mid 20th Century.

It's a 3-speed and has an axle based dynamo in the front, though it's lost it's lamp, original leather saddle.

I'll try and get pictures

solitaire

Über Member
4304079110_b30d4f993b_b.jpg

What you find inside an SA three speed hub. Mine had a threaded driver and I wanted to change the sprocket to lower the gearing. I took the splined driver out of an old Raleigh Twenty wheel I have and fitted it to this hub so I could fit a 22t sprocket to bring the gearing down to sensible levels. I originally though the bearings were gone in this hub as it seemed very gritty but it turned out to be rust on armature in the dynamo rather than a problem with the geared side of the hub.
Lovely job........Lovely dog too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Not sure how this pooped up from the dead but thanks for all the nice comments. It's still running and I've since had the wheels rebuilt with new rims. I try to ride it when I can but I have so many bikes/projects on the go. rudge1.jpg rudge2.jpg rudge3.jpg rudge4.jpg

Top Bottom