1960 Carlton Flyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
.... and I'd add a brass Crane bell on the handlebar stem ....

View attachment 334329

plus if you need a waterbottle, ... the Kleen Kanteen Reflect with the Velo Orange stainless steel bottle holder as in the above photo

LOL .... that's just my thoughts and what I would do , but you have a cracking bike! (Great saddle aswell) ....

Use it on a few L'Eroica rides:becool: ....

Ill bear those in mind,a although Im looking at keeping this one as light as possible, the other Flyer in the pictures was used at Eroica last year.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Out for a few miles today...
P1228848_zpsscdxhth2.jpg

That is lovely, and a very nice contrast to the majority of your other steeds. I think you're right to keep it uncluttered - everyone needs at least one racing machine in their collection. Those 1 1/8" tyres really look the part

edit: oh and also, 1960 - what a great year, I was manufactured in 1960 too!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

That is lovely, and a very nice contrast to the majority of your other steeds. I think you're right to keep it uncluttered - everyone needs at least one racing machine in their collection. Those 1 1/8" tyres really look the part

edit: oh and also, 1960 - what a great year, I was manufactured in 1960 too!

Indeed, I have one other, a 1975 Criterium which is kept 'minimal'. I can do it!

woodbutcher

Veteran
bloody hell thats one beautiful job of restoration....now l really feel like a total beginner trying to make something of my Carlton "franco italia".
Don't get me wrong, l am enjoying the process, but your flyer is the dogs nuts !!

woodbutcher

Veteran
Post up the link...
Problem for me , l don't know how to post the link but the question was about the frame showing chrome under the paint as in photo and wondering why and is it usual on these bikes ?
2017-01-24 13.37.21.jpg

Post up the link...

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Problem for me , l don't know how to post the link but the question was about the frame showing chrome under the paint as in photo and wondering why and is it usual on these bikes ? View attachment 334753

The chrome would be spread over a little larger area than the required chromed part. I have chrome tip forks on a few machines whereby the chrome extends underneath the paint for a way. Remember the frames were partially submerged in a tank of chromium salts, hence why the chromed areas are bigger. I have a 1963 Catalina with chrome head lugs like yours, the whole headstock is chromed, it no easy to mask it off like paint, to protect the bits you dont want chromed.

woodbutcher

Veteran
The chrome would be spread over a little larger area than the required chromed part. I have chrome tip forks on a few machines whereby the chrome extends underneath the paint for a way. Remember the frames were partially submerged in a tank of chromium salts, hence why the chromed areas are bigger. I have a 1963 Catalina with chrome head lugs like yours, the whole headstock is chromed, it no easy to mask it off like paint, to protect the bits you dont want chromed.
I understand what you are saying, many thanks for explaining . I am getting ever closer to re-assemblig the bike and going for the first ride. Frustratingly it is perfect weather at the moment cold air and lots of sun, patience is a virtue l guess !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Weren't some of them completely chromed and then painted afterwards?

woodbutcher

Veteran
As far as l can tell this one had the front of the frame and the forks chromed and then the areas to be left chromed masked while everywhere else was painted. The paint does not seem to stick to the chrome very well so some of it has flaked off as you can see in the photo.

Top Bottom