1960 Carlton Flyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It shouldn't be allowed ! Posting pictures like that making us all turn green with envy.

It is amazing how they managed to get the paint to stick onto a shiny surface in the first place, as any sort of primer would destroy the effect they were trying to achieve. In order to get the required colour several coats of the transparent coloured lacquer has to be applied , yet if you look at the thickness of the paint it is relatively thin . I can only assume that the paint was baked at a very high temperature.
I think candy finishes are the prettiest of all in the way that they reflect the light.
You have managed to acquire another lovely cycle well done.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Fitted some new MKS pedals complete with red Christophe toe straps. Added Gripfast wing nuts to the rear wheel.

Will keep a look out for some Campy Gran Sport if the price is right...

P1288904_zpszywdwqxg.jpg

P1288907_zpssxmgu8rk.jpg

P1288909_zpsomtat14j.jpg

Attachments

• P1288907_zpssxmgu8rk.jpg
    P1288907_zpssxmgu8rk.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I think I'm in love :wub:

Steady now.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Lol a friend used to think I looked like Rory McGrath, maybe I've got his stalker credentials too! :smile:

But it's sooo shiny!

The seller never really rode it, for health reasons. Hence the condition. It was restored in the early 2000s and has spent all its life indoors since then.

I'm not surprised he hardly rode it: setting aside the issue of the half step gearing, I'd be frightened to get it dirty!

wonderdog

I got back into cycling in the mid 70s, due to the generosity of a friend who had a top of the line Carlton with Capella lugs. I think they're some of the prettiest off the shelf lugs you can get ... just saying. The bike was stolen some years later and some creep probably converted it to a "fixie" because that's the done thing in Melbourne. Bum clouds!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I got back into cycling in the mid 70s, due to the generosity of a friend who had a top of the line Carlton with Capella lugs. I think they're some of the prettiest off the shelf lugs you can get ... just saying. The bike was stolen some years later and some creep probably converted it to a "fixie" because that's the done thing in Melbourne. Bum clouds!

I agree, just detailed enough to be elegant, but not so over the top to ostentatious like a Hetchins.

Top Bottom