1960's Falcon Club Special

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This old Falcon frame caught my eye for sale on a well known site. I might have paid quite a bit for it , but as I wanted it and was determined to get it I paid the asking price.
What drew my attention to it ? Well it is a Reynolds 531 frame . Plain gauge frame triangle apparently, but as my Black Diamond isn't Reynolds tubing but rides really well I thought that it should also perform well. The metal head badge and falcon crest transfer on the seat tube also attracted my attention as well as the ornate Nervex Serie Super Legere lugs.
I believe the frame to date from 1960/61 going by the style of transfers and type of lugs used. It has some rust in several places on the stays and frame which will need treating, but I want to keep the transfers intact as these are part of it's character.
The frame is a lovely shade of metallic blue which will take a bit of research to find what colour it is . I am a sucker for pretty colours.
I will have to have a good rummage around in my garage for suitable parts. Some parts such as brake calipers and levers may be moved round from other bikes for ones closer to the period of manufacture. I have a nice pair of 27 inch alloy rims and Campagnolo hubs from a fellow member rogerzilla which would look nice . Other parts may have to be sourced later.
One thing which has puzzled me is the drive side rear dropout . It is a Cyclo with a rear derailleur mounting, but it is stepped out by 10mm. I'm not sure why the hanger should be sticking out from the frame by that amount when they are normally inline?
I will wait for some better weather before I start doing anything to the frame .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Illaveago looks good , slap some wheels and other components on and ride or full resto ?

Mandobob

I have just seen this thread. Indeed my 1960ish Falcon Super Route also has exactly the same Cycle Benelux rear dropout. I love these old frames so I am posting pics of the frame overall and the frame number on the bottom of the Nervex BB shell.

The frame is in the classic copper flamboyant colour. However it has a chrome rear triangle which is partly overpainted with the copper.

Has anyone else noticed that in the 1960 catalogue (presumably drafted in late 1959) the San Remo is Model 80, the Super Route Model 74 and the Super Route Special Model 76. Model 80 continues as a San Remo in later years, model 74 is used later for the EC 74 and later again the Black Arrow 2000. Most interesting of all is that after 1960, when the San Remo name was fist introduced, model 76 becomes the top-of-the-range San Remo Equipe (team replica).

In 1960 the Super Route Special Model 76 is £59 19s. 6d. as opposed to the San Remo Model 80 at £33 19s. 6d.

I have been plotting all the Falcon models from 1959 to 1987 and the curious and irrational changes in name and model number. If anyone has anything to contribute on that please let me know as I intend to make it publicly available in due course.

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6199.jpg
    IMG_6199.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6204.jpg
    IMG_6204.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 63

midlife

Guru
Falcon were always a mystery to me, and I worked in a bike shop in the 70's that sold them lol.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have just seen this thread. Indeed my 1960ish Falcon Super Route also has exactly the same Cycle Benelux rear dropout. I love these old frames so I am posting pics of the frame overall and the frame number on the bottom of the Nervex BB shell.

The frame is in the classic copper flamboyant colour. However it has a chrome rear triangle which is partly overpainted with the copper.

Has anyone else noticed that in the 1960 catalogue (presumably drafted in late 1959) the San Remo is Model 80, the Super Route Model 74 and the Super Route Special Model 76. Model 80 continues as a San Remo in later years, model 74 is used later for the EC 74 and later again the Black Arrow 2000. Most interesting of all is that after 1960, when the San Remo name was fist introduced, model 76 becomes the top-of-the-range San Remo Equipe (team replica).

In 1960 the Super Route Special Model 76 is £59 19s. 6d. as opposed to the San Remo Model 80 at £33 19s. 6d.

I have been plotting all the Falcon models from 1959 to 1987 and the curious and irrational changes in name and model number. If anyone has anything to contribute on that please let me know as I intend to make it publicly available in due course.
I've been searching the net trying to find any information that I can but haven't found much.
Our frames share the same letter H. Your Falcon transfer is also the same as mine . The letter F changes around 1960 to a capital with a longer top horizontal bar . The pictures in the 1960's catalogue show the bikes with the same transfer although the header for the catalogue has the new style capital .

Mandobob

I've been searching the net trying to find any information that I can but haven't found much.
Our frames share the same letter H. Your Falcon transfer is also the same as mine . The letter F changes around 1960 to a capital with a longer top horizontal bar . The pictures in the 1960's catalogue show the bikes with the same transfer although the header for the catalogue has the new style capital .
Hi Illaveago

Yes, the changes in the typeface are interesting. I don't know if the older style decals are available these days but I shall probably leave the Super Route unmodernised.

I nearly went for your frame when I saw it. However I have a 1974 ish Model 78 Olympic / Model 80 frame which I have had refurbished. I had sourced almost all the period correct parts for a model 80 when I bought a 1982 Columbus framed Falcon which I then sourced components for and which is really a great ride. It's my preferred dry day ride. Then the 1960 Super Route came along and I bought it for the same reason you got your frame. So there is work to be done!

I have recently been invited to be the Marque Enthusiast for Falcon by the V-CC. I find I actually have more documents than they have in their library. I am putting together a number of documents having read Nigel Land's book on Elswick Hopper and Frank Clements autobiography. I am working on their racing teams, all the racing and touring bikes from 1956 to 1987 and any adverts or articles on the marque.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Hi Illaveago

Yes, the changes in the typeface are interesting. I don't know if the older style decals are available these days but I shall probably leave the Super Route unmodernised.

I nearly went for your frame when I saw it. However I have a 1974 ish Model 78 Olympic / Model 80 frame which I have had refurbished. I had sourced almost all the period correct parts for a model 80 when I bought a 1982 Columbus framed Falcon which I then sourced components for and which is really a great ride. It's my preferred dry day ride. Then the 1960 Super Route came along and I bought it for the same reason you got your frame. So there is work to be done!

I have recently been invited to be the Marque Enthusiast for Falcon by the V-CC. I find I actually have more documents than they have in their library. I am putting together a number of documents having read Nigel Land's book on Elswick Hopper and Frank Clements autobiography. I am working on their racing teams, all the racing and touring bikes from 1956 to 1987 and any adverts or articles on the marque.
Sorry ! I thought I would step in before somebody snapped it up .
I've got a Black Diamond which rides really well now that I have fitted ally wheels and double clanger . I thought that I would go for a 531 framed Falcon .
There seems to be 24,941 difference in our frame numbers . I wonder how may cycles they made each year ?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have just noticed that there is a difference in the banding on the seat tube . The Super Route has 3 bands either side of the central band . There is a bronze Falcon of a similar age on the bay at the moment which has 2 , mine has one ! Order of rank ?

Mandobob

According to Nigel Land's book, in 1974 they were making 200 per week and by 1980 that was up to 700. At that sort of rate I guess that makes the frames about 36 weeks apart and you have the older machine. I haven't spotted a total pattern to the seat tube bands yet. It seems to fluctuate, although 3 bands seems to occur more often on the higher end bikes.

Top Bottom