1960's Falcon Club Special

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I had to log in the numbers of the Falcon Bikes we got from the factory in the 70's and the numbers seemed pretty random.

I acquired a San Remo Equipe Road frame and a track frame at around the same time and the numbers were nowhere near the same. Sadly I let the track frame go :sad:. If you find some logic behind the numbering I'd be interested :smile:. I wonder if Andy Thompson has any info as he closed the place down?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
According to Nigel Land's book, in 1974 they were making 200 per week and by 1980 that was up to 700. At that sort of rate I guess that makes the frames about 36 weeks apart and you have the older machine. I haven't spotted a total pattern to the seat tube bands yet. It seems to fluctuate, although 3 bands seems to occur more often on the higher end bikes.
Thanks ! That is interesting about the numbers made .
I have been looking at how different styles in script and transfers versus vinyl appeared over the years .
I only noticed the banding on the seat tube the other day. I had assumed that they were all the same .

John Mac

Hi, not wanting to hijack the thread, but the comments & respondents seem to be hugely knowledgable about old Falcons.
I wonder if anyone could shed light on the model of Falcon I acquired some years ago. The owner I purchased it from recalls he bought it around 1961, it was then, he thought 1 year old. It’s odd because it seems to have early Nervex Pro lugs but the flaming torch immichrome sticker on the seat tube seem later than 60’.
The weinmann centre pull brakes have 63 cast in the arms. I have not seen many with a single black panel on the seat tube. The colour seems to be “Flamboyant Copper”, the rear dropouts are both flat, there are 3 braze on cable guides for a derailleur on the right side only, indicating it was built as a five speed. Any thoughts ? Is it a Club Special (colour would suggest not) or a Super Route (lugs look like Nervex Pro) or is it an Olympic ?
The Nos Stronglight chain-set didn’t come with it, it had a very rusty Williams double, no dates can be seen.
I also own a lovely 1980 Falcon Pro, but that is another story.
I actually joined the group today as the knowledge on here looks superb.
Thanks in advance, John.

Attachments

• CE9B50CA-2D3C-461D-BEB0-5D7FF53A3F95.jpeg
    CE9B50CA-2D3C-461D-BEB0-5D7FF53A3F95.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 53671FD1-9CE1-46F3-9078-18079F51D764.jpeg
    53671FD1-9CE1-46F3-9078-18079F51D764.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 46
  • C5577262-CF7A-4441-BA93-D247E6908E0C.jpeg
    C5577262-CF7A-4441-BA93-D247E6908E0C.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 5C6512FA-832F-446D-9DF3-9855B10CABB0.jpeg
    5C6512FA-832F-446D-9DF3-9855B10CABB0.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F803D991-2979-497F-ADA9-4B2A2D21EC07.jpeg
    F803D991-2979-497F-ADA9-4B2A2D21EC07.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 873D46AA-7E9A-410B-A4A7-1FEF75F63C77.jpeg
    873D46AA-7E9A-410B-A4A7-1FEF75F63C77.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 34

midlife

Guru
Best of luck with working out which falcon you have, in my experience an oiuja board and a seance has the same info as looking at their catalogues lol

Love the Falcon in the background, is that a red 531 pro decal?

Mandobob

Hi, not wanting to hijack the thread, but the comments & respondents seem to be hugely knowledgable about old Falcons.
I wonder if anyone could shed light on the model of Falcon I acquired some years ago. The owner I purchased it from recalls he bought it around 1961, it was then, he thought 1 year old. It’s odd because it seems to have early Nervex Pro lugs but the flaming torch immichrome sticker on the seat tube seem later than 60’.
The weinmann centre pull brakes have 63 cast in the arms. I have not seen many with a single black panel on the seat tube. The colour seems to be “Flamboyant Copper”, the rear dropouts are both flat, there are 3 braze on cable guides for a derailleur on the right side only, indicating it was built as a five speed. Any thoughts ? Is it a Club Special (colour would suggest not) or a Super Route (lugs look like Nervex Pro) or is it an Olympic ?
The Nos Stronglight chain-set didn’t come with it, it had a very rusty Williams double, no dates can be seen.
Thanks in advance, John.
Whilst I always regard Falcon catalogues as a guide, the 1960 one, which may well have been prepared in the autumn of 1959, only offered the following models:

non 531:
Black Diamond (5sp or 10 sp)
Super Tourist (Sturmey Archer)
531 plain:
Club Special (5 sp or 10 sp)
Olympic (10 sp)
San Remo model 80 (5sp or 10 sp)
531 butted:
Super Route (10sp)
Super Route Special (10 sp)

I suggest you check the seat pin for size to see what sort of tubing it might be - but not always a perfect clue!

I also have a Super Route (it says so along the side of the top tube at the front) from about the same time with a similar seat lug and the round wrap-over tube detail also in the flamboyant copper colour. I have also seen another one, of similar date, with the immichrome sticker - so yours is not alone.

Mine has the Cycle Benelux unique rear derailleur fixing on the rear dropout, which, according to the catalogue, is the standard spec. It also has a blue seat tube panel, with the flaming torch and designed by Ernie Clements emblem on it with three additional narrow blue rings above and below the panel. I have seen a black seat panel on another one but that had one black ring above and beneath the panel!

I don't know if this takes you any closer to an answer as to what model it is. Look closely at the paint finish all over to see if a name has worn off.

I too have a 1983/4 pro. Perhaps we can compare notes on those in the future?

John Mac

Very informative, thank you so much. Mine looks slightly later, same fork crown & lugs but with a lamp mount which yours doesn’t have. You’re Falcon font looks older (I can’t make out the Super Route name on your top tube) also cable braze ons seem to be missing on mine.
Thanks again for the info, my Falcon Pro has been shown on another thread in this Vintage forum.
Take care, John.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Whilst I always regard Falcon catalogues as a guide, the 1960 one, which may well have been prepared in the autumn of 1959, only offered the following models:

non 531:
531 plain:
Olympic (10 sp)
531 butted:
Super Route (10sp)

I suggest you check the seat pin for size to see what sort of tubing it might be - but not always a perfect clue!

I also have a Super Route (it says so along the side of the top tube at the front) from about the same time with a similar seat lug and the round wrap-over tube detail also in the flamboyant copper colour. I have also seen another one, of similar date, with the immichrome sticker - so yours is not alone.

Mine has the Cycle Benelux unique rear derailleur fixing on the rear dropout, which, according to the catalogue, is the standard spec. It also has a blue seat tube panel, with the flaming torch and designed by Ernie Clements emblem on it with three additional narrow blue rings above and below the panel. I have seen a black seat panel on another one but that had one black ring above and beneath the panel!

I don't know if this takes you any closer to an answer as to what model it is. Look closely at the paint finish all over to see if a name has worn off.

I too have a 1983/4 pro. Perhaps we can compare notes on those in the future? View attachment 500521
It looks like there is another Club Special on the bay at the moment .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru

gazzzza

non 531:
531 plain:
Olympic (10 sp)
531 butted:
Super Route (10sp)

I too have a 1983/4 pro. Perhaps we can compare notes on those in the future? View attachment 500521
Hello. I am trying to identify my bike which I purchased in the early 1970. The folks I have are the same colour as those in the photo above. My frame number is PM 780. Any ideas? While I am locked in I put some photos on the site

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Thanks in advance, John.
I agree with you that certain things on your bike seem to point to a later date . The immichrome sticker for one thing and the Falcon transfer on the down tube do look later .The lack of a grease nipple in the bottom bracket also suggest a later date .

gazzzza

I have just seen this thread. Indeed my 1960ish Falcon Super Route also has exactly the same Cycle Benelux rear dropout. I love these old frames so I am posting pics of the frame overall and the frame number on the bottom of the Nervex BB shell.

The frame is in the classic copper flamboyant colour. However it has a chrome rear triangle which is partly overpainted with the copper.

Has anyone else noticed that in the 1960 catalogue (presumably drafted in late 1959) the San Remo is Model 80, the Super Route Model 74 and the Super Route Special Model 76. Model 80 continues as a San Remo in later years, model 74 is used later for the EC 74 and later again the Black Arrow 2000. Most interesting of all is that after 1960, when the San Remo name was fist introduced, model 76 becomes the top-of-the-range San Remo Equipe (team replica).

In 1960 the Super Route Special Model 76 is £59 19s. 6d. as opposed to the San Remo Model 80 at £33 19s. 6d.

I have been plotting all the Falcon models from 1959 to 1987 and the curious and irrational changes in name and model number. If anyone has anything to contribute on that please let me know as I intend to make it publicly available in due course.
It would be nice to see some pictures of your bike .
Thanks for the reply. Will get photos over the next few days.

Top Bottom