1965 Falcon Olympic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

I think the frame number is S 49290.

I think that will be 1968. That figures with alot of the detail.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I think that will be 1968. That figures with alot of the detail.

I have had a look at the frame number again and think that the S was from someone trying to put a postcode on . SX for Southampton. If you look at my previous picture of the frame number there is quite a gap until the numbers start. The S that I found seems to be on a different angle .
I would have thought that it would be a bit late for them to be fitting a Campagnolo Gran Sport , also the oiler in the bottom bracket seems a bit late to still be fitting them .
I still haven't found any date codes on the hubs .

Mandobob

I have had a look at the frame number again and think that the S was from someone trying to put a postcode on . SX for Southampton. If you look at my previous picture of the frame number there is quite a gap until the numbers start. The S that I found seems to be on a different angle .
I would have thought that it would be a bit late for them to be fitting a Campagnolo Gran Sport , also the oiler in the bottom bracket seems a bit late to still be fitting them .

I agree, the frame seems much closer to 1960 than 1970.

Mandobob

I am not sure that the Normandy dates were actually used in the 1960s

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I agree, the frame seems much closer to 1960 than 1970.

Thanks! It seems to be throwing up strange things. The gold lining and the lining on the tops of the seat wrap overs seems to suggest earlier.
The previous owner had stronger legs than me . The 1st gear on the original wheel is a 24 tooth . I'm currently running with a 28 and find that it won't be any good on hills .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Southampton postcode is SO

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Southampton postcode is SO

I have just looked at the picture of the frame number a couple of pages back and it looks like there are several X's. There were 2 post code stickers on the frame so there might be more than one code on there .

Top Bottom