1965 Falcon Olympic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Hi Midlife. Illaveago and I had quite a correspondence on this one before he bid for it.

I think this is a real find. What a treasure to see the San Remo style seat stay wrapover on a genuine Olympic! During the 1960s it seems this detail was used on other models - my 1967 Super Tourist hast just that same detail. Doubly interesting because when it was introduced, the San Remo had the tubular wrapover detail which was to become the indicator of the Olympic / Super Tourist / San Remo model 80 through the 1970s!

Thanks for the info. I am a child of the 70’s and worked in a bike shop at the time

If it didn’t have a wheelbase of an Aende or kit that wasn’t drilled as much as Alf’s I wasn’t interested lol

Anything from the 60’s wasn’t on my radar. lol

There is a comparison with the Raleigh seat stay evolution. Way back when, the tubular wrap round seat stay was the hallmark of its top frames, light and stiff. Then ended up on the tru well Carlton and other middle range Raleigh stable frame

midlife

Guru
Pondering the Falcon flattened wrapover seat stay. I was chatting to the Holdsworth rep about the mid 70's and the Holdsworth flattened wrapover cropped up

Apparently there were two ways of making it. The cheap way using a solid bit that went around the seat lug or a more expensive hand made hollow wrapover part.

I wonder how the Falcon was made?

Mandobob

Pondering the Falcon flattened wrapover seat stay. I was chatting to the Holdsworth rep about the mid 70's and the Holdsworth flattened wrapover cropped up

Apparently there were two ways of making it. The cheap way using a solid bit that went around the seat lug or a more expensive hand made hollow wrapover part.

I wonder how the Falcon was made?

Is that the difference between the round wrapover (which surely must be hollow?) and the flat one (which surely can't be?).

midlife

Guru
Is that the difference between the round wrapover (which surely must be hollow?) and the flat one (which surely can't be?).

The classic Raleigh / Carlton / Falcon round wrapover are certainly hollow.

It might be the passage of time fudging my memory but I'm sure the Holdsworth rep said that their flattened wrapover was made in two ways.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been doing a bit of de rusting and

DSC_0214.JPG
cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0211.JPG
    DSC_0211.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 13

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Coming along nicely so well done

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I managed to get the bike rideable this afternoon. I borrowed a pair of ally wheels from my other bikes. I had fun trying to use brake cables from other bikes without much success. I didn't want to have to go into town to buy new parts. It didn't work so I went and bought a new cable and chain. I swapped the saddle for one which I had spare. The cover was coming off the one fitted. I had fitted a pair of drops bars the previous night. Trying to find a pair which would fit and not jam was difficult so I settled for a thinner pair and made a shim out of 1 mm ally sheet. By the time I had built the bike up the sun was starting to go down so I fitted lights and set off for a test ride. It was very short! The bars rotated and the saddle was too high. I had only gone 100 yards so I went back and adjusted things. By now it was starting to get dark . Lights on and off I went along the cycle path . The chain started to jump! I dropped down a couple of gears which seemed a bit better. The previous owner must have been pretty fit as the rear sprockets are larger than the originals and the chainring looks like a 52 tooth. I carried on with the occasional chain jump. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I don't think the chain jumped on my other bike. It might be the derailleur. I continued down the lane in lower gears , the bike seemed to be going well. After a mile I turned round and came back, I managed to climb the flyover without any problems and it went down the hill on the other side pretty fast. I was surprised when I got back to find that I was in first gear. The previous owner had strong legs.
I will check things out tomorrow and perhaps have another test ride.

Mandobob

I managed to get the bike rideable this afternoon. I borrowed a pair of ally wheels from my other bikes. I had fun trying to use brake cables from other bikes without much success. I didn't want to have to go into town to buy new parts. It didn't work so I went and bought a new cable and chain. I swapped the saddle for one which I had spare. The cover was coming off the one fitted. I had fitted a pair of drops bars the previous night. Trying to find a pair which would fit and not jam was difficult so I settled for a thinner pair and made a shim out of 1 mm ally sheet. By the time I had built the bike up the sun was starting to go down so I fitted lights and set off for a test ride. It was very short! The bars rotated and the saddle was too high. I had only gone 100 yards so I went back and adjusted things. By now it was starting to get dark . Lights on and off I went along the cycle path . The chain started to jump! I dropped down a couple of gears which seemed a bit better. The previous owner must have been pretty fit as the rear sprockets are larger than the originals and the chainring looks like a 52 tooth. I carried on with the occasional chain jump. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I don't think the chain jumped on my other bike. It might be the derailleur. I continued down the lane in lower gears , the bike seemed to be going well. After a mile I turned round and came back, I managed to climb the flyover without any problems and it went down the hill on the other side pretty fast. I was surprised when I got back to find that I was in first gear. The previous owner had strong legs.
I will check things out tomorrow and perhaps have another test ride.

Highly commendable! You must have been pretty keen to get it rolling! What are you going to do about wheels. They can be a pretty expensive part of restoring a frame. Will you go for period ones or later?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here are some pictures of how it looks built up with some borrowed wheels. The original wheels are steel chromed with some rust. I did another 3 miles on it today. I was basically doing errands. Riding along in 1st and 2nd gear feels about right, normally I ride in 3rd or 4th. The chain only jumped a couple of times. I will look at it another day.
This afternoon I did a bit more cleaning and polishing. Most of the rust has come off the chromed bits, the frame is another matter. This received some clay bar treatment and polishing. It now shines in places. I managed to get some more of the paper sticker from the Reynolds transfer. What a place to put one!
DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0222.JPG
    DSC_0222.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0217.JPG
    DSC_0217.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0220.JPG
    DSC_0220.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0221.JPG
    DSC_0221.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0227.JPG
    DSC_0227.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0228.JPG
    DSC_0228.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Highly commendable! You must have been pretty keen to get it rolling! What are you going to do about wheels. They can be a pretty expensive part of restoring a frame. Will you go for period ones or later?

Yes I was. I wanted to see whatever it rode like . I am slowly getting used to it. I will have to swap the brake blocks for something else. They are Sturmey Archer, they look like normal rubber blocks but with some sort of fibre for the braking surface. They make a horrific screeching noise!
I haven't had a good look at the wheels yet. The chrome has rust on them in places but I'm not too sure how bad it is. The hubs need a good clean and polish and the bearings need looking at . They are a bit stiff. I will clean them up. I've cleaned up some which were worse and don't look too bad. The rust on the frame is my main problem. The scabs look bad but once filed down don't show signs of pitting .
I am keeping an eye out for cars which look a similar colour .

Top Bottom