1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's 'Light Hiker'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2flit

Regular
We were on a Tandem bicycle tour from Normandy>Nates>Budapest and encountered this 68cm Rene Herse advertised on a Paris board. This is exactly my frame size and my love of vintage steel frames combined with the incredibly rare occurrence of a tall Herse frame gave me pause and I arranged for shipping home.
I have a longer post here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1245131-1968-rene-herse-gentleman-s-bicycle.html on this bicycle my modifications (all can be reversed)
Here are some pictures:
P1030310.JPG

Attachments

• P1030315.JPG
    P1030315.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010519.JPG
    P1010519.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010521.JPG
    P1010521.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010535.JPG
    P1010535.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010540.JPG
    P1010540.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010553.JPG
    P1010553.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010558.JPG
    P1010558.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
  • NewBars2.png
    NewBars2.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
2flit

2flit

Regular
I'm trying to contact the former owner of a tall vintage UK Lightweight frame that I am considering restoring. The bicycle built in the 1950-60's and last registered to an owner at 53 Gilkes Crescent, London SE21 7BP. The frame is huge (73 cm seat tube) and cable stayed. It should be memorable.
Looking for a recommendation where to ask.
s-l1600 (5).jpg

OP
OP
2flit

2flit

Regular
That is a LOVELY and well-cared-for René Herse! Congratulations on your good fortune and your good stewardship of this bike.

What components did you swap out?
Because the bicycle became a daily commuter on a steep and hilly ride…. I made a few reversible changes to the gearing and provisions for a front bag. The old parts (freewheel, original drilled bars, derailleur, and such) safely stored away for someone that comes eventually down the road from me, probably when I’m 80 years old like the former owner.

The bars were switched out because I wanted to attach the Nitto F-15 bag support that would have damaged the original porteur bars. The original Herse bars were the narrowest porteur bars that I've ever seen. Both bars are drilled for the cable housings that exit the MAFAC reverse brake levers. I enjoy the esthetics of the reverse levers and the choices that become available for the cable exit from inside the bars.

The conversion to the (up to) 16% grades that I commute on was mostly done with the addition of a clamp-on suicide shifter a slightly wider range of the French threaded freewheel and a bit of magic from Jan Hein with an adaption of the original cranks to a double. Shifting is not what one would call smooth but I don’t want to violate the originality with an actual Herse square tube shifter that’s brazed. My hope is that some day I (or the next owner) will be back on level-ish ground and can return the bicycle to the original unmolested state without any noticeable history of a former hilly life.

P1030311.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03962.JPG
    DSC03962.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 4
  • NewBars2.png
    NewBars2.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Old Bars.png
    Old Bars.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010558.JPG
    P1010558.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 4

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm trying to contact the former owner of a tall vintage UK Lightweight frame that I am considering restoring. The bicycle built in the 1950-60's and last registered to an owner at 53 Gilkes Crescent, London SE21 7BP. The frame is huge (73 cm seat tube) and cable stayed. It should be memorable.
Looking for a recommendation where to ask. View attachment 629944

Are you asking who should you use to restore or to try and find the previous owner ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. Who was René Herse and where were they made? Have you researched the maker?

As for the frame the last owner may not be around. You can see it’s a quality frame and being as the owner was in Dulwich South London it may have been made by Gillott.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Beautiful RH bike.

Classic Rendezvous have this introduction for their page: 'Rene Herse's uniquely individualistic approach, with the highest level of craftsmanship, has set this maker apart. Their thoroughly thought out and designed bikes, especially touring models, have made Herse possibly the most desirable bicycle of all.'

OP
OP
2flit

2flit

Regular
I have located the previous owner of the very tall 1950's frame that was added to this post by the moderator m(which by the way is confusing some here) There are now two bikes being discussed in one post.
Maybe the moderator wishes to move my post on the cable stayed frame identification back to it's own thread??

In any event, I have been contacted by the former owner of that huge "Cable stayed" frame and he has written....

"
Hi, all,
This really excites me! I'm grateful to one of your group members who emailed me with the link to this thread, as he recognised my former bike! I have joined the group so I can respond, but I'm unsure of your protocols, so won't mention any names.
I am 1.94m tall, never became a bishop, and I suppose I could be described as a gnome from Dulwich, but have never aspired to the wealth of those other gnomes in Zurich....!
From 1981-1988 I was Chaplain at Alleyn's School in Dulwich, S. London, and in that role was also honorary assistant curate at St. Barnabas' Church, Dulwich - hence the link with SE21 7BP - our postcode. And I did indeed live, with my family, at no. 53, Gilkes Crescent.
The group member who alerted me ran the cycle shop in S. London where my children bought their first adult bikes, and he also kept an eye on my bike. I think it was he who suggested I had twin lat tubes fitted after he observed the considerable flexing of the 28" frame when I was pedalling the heavily loaded bike up steep hills in Wales with the cycling club. We went to Wales for a 7-10 day cycle tour straight after the end of every summer term, and your member came with us on one, maybe two of these trips - as did the friend who gave me the bike: he had given it to me in 1976, delighted that I was about to train for the ordained ministry, and having seen the dilapidated condition of my previous bike, which must have been decades old and not well maintained, I'm ashamed to say.
He understood from the seller that it was built as a track bike in the 1950s, and that the tight rear geometry of the frame was an indicator of this. Incidentally, aside from the cycle club at the school, I also ran a 6th form activity once a week at the Herne Hill velodrome - as suggested by one of your correspondents - but we rode the 'official' fixed wheel bikes, not our own, obviously.
I think I'm right in saying that I had all the lugs except one pair of water bottle lugs on the saddle tube fitted. And your member is right - the finish was applied by me with a brush and Hammerite after it was professionally sandblasted. That was done while I was in Dulwich, so before 1988. It has never been so intensely ridden since those days, I'm sorry to say....
I'm afraid I can offer no help in actually identifying the builder, but will ask the friend who gave me the bike and let you know if he can shed any light."

Top Bottom