1979 CARLTON CLUBMAN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Nice. Frame looks similar to a Raleigh Supercourse that I renovated - but Carlton is better quality (tubing, fork ends, rear drop outs)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCrfiqo

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've got an old tru-wel Carlton Stadium frame kicking around in a very similar colour & decals scheme. It was part of a donor purchase job lot I stripped for parts. I believe my one dated to 1981, so yours won't be far off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I need to find my Dremel so that I can cut the screws to length for the cable clamps . I will then be able to remove the cable ties .
I might whilst I'm at it make up a few more cable clamps for my Falcon . It is sourcing the small nuts and bolts which is a pain. The ones I used used to hold a model aeroplane engine in .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I was working on my Carlton Competition today so I was able to take some measurements of the frame for comparison .
Head tube 6 ", crossbar 22 1/2 ", seat tube 23 1/2", down tube 25". The Clubman dimensions are .
Head tube 6 1/4", crossbar 22", seat tube 23 1/2", down tube 24".
It could be that these proportions give the impression of a larger frame .

midlife

Guru
Draw out a frame on a piece of paper, then reduce the size of the top tube, keep the same angles and the head tube becomes longer.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Draw out a frame on a piece of paper, then reduce the size of the top tube, keep the same angles and the head tube becomes longer.
It is just that we become so used to certain shape and size that we can usually guess the frame size . Alter a few dimensions and it throws us out !

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
A bit of an update.
I have managed to get out and do a few more miles on my bike . Not many but enough to find out that I am enjoying it . It feels more stable than my other bikes. I can look over my shoulder without disappearing across the other side of the road. It also feels better against gusts of winds . As some people say it makes you want to ride faster on it .
A bit of a change of tack now.
Whilst researching about the bike I read a thread somewhere saying that the frame was the same as the Raleigh Record Ace .
Well yesterday I bought a 1980 frame .
The frames do look identical apart from the brazed on cable guides on the cross bar and the chain holder on the rear seat stay . The frame materials are also different . The Carlton is Reynold 531 butted main frame tubes whereas the Raleigh is 531stays and forks butted frame tubes .
I prefer the colour of the Carlton.
It will be a while before I get the Raleigh going. It will be interesting to see how they compare .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A bit of an update.
I have managed to get out and do a few more miles on my bike . Not many but enough to find out that I am enjoying it . It feels more stable than my other bikes. I can look over my shoulder without disappearing across the other side of the road. It also feels better against gusts of winds . As some people say it makes you want to ride faster on it .
A bit of a change of tack now.
Whilst researching about the bike I read a thread somewhere saying that the frame was the same as the Raleigh Record Ace .
Well yesterday I bought a 1980 frame .
The frames do look identical apart from the brazed on cable guides on the cross bar and the chain holder on the rear seat stay . The frame materials are also different . The Carlton is Reynold 531 butted main frame tubes whereas the Raleigh is 531stays and forks butted frame tubes .
I prefer the colour of the Carlton.
It will be a while before I get the Raleigh going. It will be interesting to see how they compare . View attachment 507011

View attachment 507012

View attachment 507013

View attachment 507014
Built by the same people if it has a W prefix.

Top Bottom