1980's MK1 Vauxhall Astra GTE...your thoughts about them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's one appeared (A Reg') in the last day or so around here. I'm going to try and get a photo' of it. I was about to ask the owner yesterday,but he drove off before i could reach him. Not on purpose i hope🤔;). I was going to buy one (red) in 1988,but didn't do as i thought the 'boy racer' look maybe wasn't for me. They look so 1980's now which is to be expected as that's when they were made,but you know what i mean!:okay: Have you ever owned one and if so would you like to go back in time and drive it again?:smile:

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Yep, had a red one about 1986. Stolen and written off in a police chase! Quick for its day but a bit wayward for torque steer lol.

Drago

Legendary Member
Great cars, very underrated even back in the day. Arguably just that little bit better than a Mk1 Golf GTi. Slightly stonger performance, less understeery on the edge, slightly heavier but more communicative steering.

Waayyyy back in the 90's a friend of mine had one with a race prepped 16 valve engine from a mark 2 - the external block mounting dimensions are identical, so it was very straightforward to swap. Pressing the accelerator gave me some idea what it must've been like to stand on a landmine.

I had a Mk2 8v 2 litres with the optional close ratio box (the F16/5C box for any Vauxhall afficionados), and much as Im not really a car person I loved it. Lent it to the the Mrs D while her Calibra was in for a service and she wrote it off. Suffice to say it went downhill from there and i eventually divorced her.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Used to lust over the mk1 Astra GTE. First car I had after passing my test in 1986 was a then 3 year old standard Astra 1200 cc, and I loved that car. My mate had a silver Astra GTE mk1 and it was a cracking car.
Later I had a Cavalier mk2 SRi which had the same 1800 cc fuel injected engine as the Astra GTE. That was a great car in it's day too, many happy memories of my Vauxhalls in the mid to late 80's.. Then was tempted away by the lure of the mk2 Golf GTi.....

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ah the days when 16 valves was the height of performance
Fuel injection was also a "thing" back then.
Point of order - the standard mk1 Astra GTE had an 8 valve engine. 16 valve didn't come along until the mk2 Astra. But although the engine in the mk2 might have been an improvement, the actual car looked like a jelly mould. I much preferred the looks of the mk1, which also felt more solid to drive, where the mk2 felt cheap and tinny. I only ever bought one mk2 Astra and kept it for a matter of months before dumping it for a Cavalier SRi..

midlife

Guru
After mine was written off I bought the mk II with the electronic digital dash display, not as nice a drive though compared to my mk I

D

Deleted member 23692

Cracking cars. I had a 1.6, and almost bought a mint GTE with a redtop conversion a few years ago. I sometimes which I had, but I really needed something practical

Here's mine, circa 1988 sitting on Spax suspension with a Janspeed full system. Super go-kart

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Mostly a Ford man, but my Uncle was a Vauxhall man. He had an Cavalier MK1 and an Opel Manta. The Manta looked great. I haven't seen one on the road for many years...

Top Bottom