1980's Raleigh Bottom Bracket 'Sticky'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've restored and regreased my old Raleigh Merlin from around 1985 last year. Now it's going back into semi-active service again in a few months.

I noticed a little movement in the bottom bracket, and just put a little more turn on the shell which seemed to help. But when turning by hand there a little more resistance when the crank passes one spot.
I wasn't in the mood for a bearing change but just cleaned out everything and regreased, but now want to check things out more.

What's the most likely? The shells being worn or the axle?

If it's the shell I'll probably take it to Dave Marsh in Maltby and see about upgrade options, but if it's the axle I can try and source one myself and replace the bearings too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've restored and regreased my old Raleigh Merlin from around 1985 last year. Now it's going back into semi-active service again in a few months.

I noticed a little movement in the bottom bracket, and just put a little more turn on the shell which seemed to help. But when turning by hand there a little more resistance when the crank passes one spot.
I wasn't in the mood for a bearing change but just cleaned out everything and regreased, but now want to check things out more.

What's the most likely? The shells being worn or the axle?

If it's the shell I'll probably take it to Dave Marsh in Maltby and see about upgrade options, but if it's the axle I can try and source one myself and replace the bearings too.
Have you done it up too tight :laugh:, it may be wear though you'll only know by taking it apart but new shafts these days tend to be made of cheese unlike the original Raleigh ones which are decent 'case hardened' steel and I've never known their cups to wear.

Have you done it up too tight :laugh:, it may be wear though you'll only know by taking it apart but new shafts these days tend to be made of cheese unlike the original Raleigh ones which are decent 'case hardened' steel and I've never known their cups to wear.

I thought that myself so backed it off so it moved totally free. It's all original parts which I was wondering was worth a revisit. If it saves me removing cotterpins again I'll leave well alone.

The only other thing needed is a new saddle as my nether regions seem to have changed shape since 1985. Was wondering about them Charge Spoon things, but haven't seen any size info.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I thought that myself so backed it off so it moved totally free. It's all original parts which I was wondering was worth a revisit. If it saves me removing cotterpins again I'll leave well alone.

The only other thing needed is a new saddle as my nether regions seem to have changed shape since 1985. Was wondering about them Charge Spoon things, but haven't seen any size info.
If you ever need a spare cottered shaft for an 85 Raleigh I've got an original one removed from my 85 Raleigh 'City' 3 speed, it's in fine nick.

Saw the subject line on the cc front page and was going to jump in to page raleighnut, then saw that he is already here.

You are in good hands nigel - raleigh helped me out with an old school BB a while ago, though am ashamed to admit that I swapped it out for a sealed unit one.

Top Bottom