1980's Raleigh wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnowl930

Looking to replace the wheels and tyres on my Carlton Cyclone which has Raleigh chrome wheels at the moment that have been damaged.
Any recommendations , obviously not really worth putting anything flash on it and I would like to keep it as original as I can.
Also need shorty mudguards to make it complete.
Many thanks

contadino

Veteran
Maillard Normandy on Weinmann rims. Looking for a set myself too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^^^^+1, it does depend on whether they are 27s or 700c but often the best way is to get new rims laced onto the existing hubs (as long as they're still good or can be rebuilt/serviced) but I'd go for aluminium rims as opposed to chrome (I like my brakes to work in the wet)

OP
OP
B

Barnowl930

Weinmann would be good as it would match the brakes. My wheel bearings are rough but I guess they are still available.
Any recommendations for a wheel builder?
They are 27x1 1/4

midlife

Guru
OLN is 130 for those wheels but 49 quid with free delivery is pretty good. Bankruptbikeparts might have something as well.

Shaun

contadino

Veteran
OLN is 130 for those wheels but 49 quid with free delivery is pretty good. Bankruptbikeparts might have something as well.

Shaun

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...

My frame OLD is 120mm and a 5mm stretch on either side worried me a bit. In the end I found that Baldwin's Cycles could sell me some of 122mm. So a 27" wheelset with Shimano hubs and a mega range freewheel cassette thing, and a new chain is on its way to me. Fingers crossed.

contadino

Veteran
Just a bit of an update on this...new wheels arrived. They may not be the best wheels in the world, but they roll better than the originals and the pawls are close to silent (which is chuffing brilliant. The clicking of when you're coasting is my number one dislike - worse than a headwind when you're climbing a hill.)

Everything fitted really well. As ever, the biggest ballache was getting the tyres sitting evenly on the rim. (Does anyone have any tips on how to do that? I seem to have to inflate/semi-deflate several times to get them right.)

One huge change seems to be that where, with the old wheels, the chain used to rub on the front derailleur in top gear, now it doesn't. I had put that down to a slightly bent big chainring but now it looks like something else was causing it. I've only taken the bike for a 20 mile trial run today but tomorrow I'll give the old girl a proper run.

publicpreview.php?x=1317&y=790&a=true&file=New%2520Wheels.jpg

Looking at the old wheels the problem really seems to be the very skinny and battered looking spokes - the hubs are fine and the rims look OK to my untrained eye. So I'm going to attempt to learn to rebuild them.

Attachments

• publicpreview.php?x=1317&y=790&a=true&file=New%2520Wheels.jpg
    publicpreview.php?x=1317&y=790&a=true&file=New%2520Wheels.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom