1980s steel wheels - folding tyres ok..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
1985 Peugeot with RIGIDA steel rims,
28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/8
vertical side walls - NOT clincher profile

atm i have Continental 700x23C ULTRA Sport tyres
running ok after a wee hassle to bed concentrically on the rim

anyway - considering fitting 700x25c

can i use 'folding tyres' on these rims...?

thanks

Don't see why not, but you may want to reconsider steel rims once you've experienced their wet weather performance :eek:

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

Don't see why not, but you may want to reconsider steel rims once you've experienced their wet weather performance :eek:

thinking about Schwalbe Lugano folding 25c with K-Guard due to our country lanes

yes, aware of steels rep in the wet - but using as a fair weather bike
i would like to fit wide flange hubs with alloy rims - just need the £££.......:smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
all it says is..

RIGIDA Made in France
Super-Chromix
28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/8 - 700c

700x23C Conti ULTRA running at 95psi

should i worry...........?...:eek:
No, as the tyres you have on now are very tight to get on/seated however some folding tyres have a warning on the pack which can give a lower max pressure on non-clincher rims just check what it says on any new ones

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

Dunno mate up to you, personally I'd be saving up for some new period looking wheels and suggest reconditioning some Maillard wide flange hubs and getting Mavic open sport rims laced onto them, mine look cod on for an old steelie.

thanks ...that's my plan when the pennies mount up

got a pic of yours..?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No and my Darkroom is full of things from Mazzo's sisters flat that we cleared out after her sad demise but that's slowly finding worthwhile homes so hopefully later this year.

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

Don't use folders on non-hook bead rims. .............ok thanks

Even with wire-bead tyres you will probably have to run at lower pressure...... presently Continental ULTRA Sport 700x23 at 90psi

Might not be a problem if you fit largish tyres.
......looking at getting Vittoria something in 700x25........better..?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Larger is better simply because there's less risk of pinch-punctures at lower pressures. I feel happier with 23s at 110 or more. 25s are okay at 90 to 100. All depending on your total weight, of course (I'm around 74kg). At high pressures on plain rims there's a risk of the tyre creeping up the sidewall at one place and letting the tube out with a bang.

Top Bottom