1987? Raleigh Record Ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard
That's really nice @bagpuss what gearing have you put on there, is that a triple up front? I think mine will be stock gears to keep costs down, at least it's already got a 28 behind! The intention is to tidy it and sell it - that's what I told the missus anyway!
Loving that shed too! I must show my mate that, he's gonna go mad for it!

bagpuss

Guru
The rear Mech is a Suntour which came from a RRA circa 1980 . The fitted Simano 600 was shot as was the c/s . Replacement double c/s came from a Raleigh Record as did the front wheel {Original wheels worn out} . The new parts being the rear wheel , Cassette chain . After a lot of faffing with barkes some buget tekro dual pivot got fitted for modern stopping power + dia Compe levers . Tranfers came out of said shed as did the outer cable and bar tape . Pedals old Suntour SR . £35 for a powder coat

I also try to re use old parts if possible when doing a rebuild.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Spent yesterday kinda just looking at the Sh*t Brown Bomber as she's come to be called. There are 105 hubs with ug freehub on the back but they're tied to Raleigh-looking Weinmann rims, might these have been original? (the '87 catalogue just says "small flange alloy qr"). Also I can't seem to find a date code on them

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Here's some more brown! Headset, BB and wheels all serviced, new tyres, all mechanicals cleaned and greased and a bit of a de-rust and t-cut/polish.
The Weinmann brake levers were uncomfortable and the hoods rotten, so I swapped them for some RX100. Depending on what colour bar tape I decide on, I may change them for a set of white 600 levers I have somewhere; they'd go better with the other mechs anyway, and depending on how long I keep it, the weinmann calipers may have to go - I mean, no adjuster? What's that all about?
But what tape should go on her? Original was white and the brake hoods were gum-coloured, and I think the brown brake cable is original, so I could go beige with white hoods, or leather effect, but that might be one more brown too far! I thought gold might look good, but the only gold tape I could find (admittedly after the briefest of searches) was £22 (though it was nice).
Or how about go completely left field and use something like yellow, after all gods know it needs brightening up!
TBH a month of hard work and it doesn't look much different, but it does go very well indeed.

IMAG0325_zpsz2aio2tn.jpg
IMAG0342_zpscas3cuxf.jpg
IMAG0328_zps80tphjfm.jpg
IMAG0338_zpsvv3swfr5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
Well it's gonna be black or red (for now at least) cos that's what I've got in me box! I've found some gold braided brake outer on eBay that might just set it off nicely but there's no pic of it
Edit: oh I've found a pic:
$(KGrHqVHJ!8FId0l,J,QBSPEM84kjg~~60_3.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
So for now at least, it's got red tape. I think I should've swapped the levers for the white ones though.
I've just ridden it to work and a colleague has told me he loves it, so that's me told!
IMAG0344_zpsqysnrqwg.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spent yesterday kinda just looking at the Sh*t Brown Bomber as she's come to be called. There are 105 hubs with ug freehub on the back but they're tied to Raleigh-looking Weinmann rims, might these have been original? (the '87 catalogue just says "small flange alloy qr"). Also I can't seem to find a date code on them

Original. My Road ace came with Shimano 600 and Weinmann rims.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Well a bit more riding and being able to see it every time I went for a beer from the outdoor fridge and I've been getting quite fond of the old girl, so thank goodness, after riding it into work Sat eve, the aforementioned colleague made me an offer I couldn't refuse

OP
OP
mikeymustard
OK so, I know I said that the last post was gonna be the last post, but.... I just had to do another update: since doing a couple of 20 milers on the record ace, my friend has now decided that he's going to cycle from Cheltenham to Helston in Cornwall on it next month!
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

John Walster

Bought this on Ebay this evening, wasn't sure what exactly I had but went ahead and bid on it anyway :rolleyes:.
I searched everywhere for a similar one to verify and date it, then just now I found it in the 87 catalogue (by this time I had already won it of course, I was beginning to panic cos no-one bid against me).
I think it may be pretty much original although it's missing its champagne mudguards. This is the only pic I have so far
View attachment 314078

Not sure about this one. I’ve got an original 1980’s Record Ace and I thought they were all in ice green with gold mudguards, campag gearing etc.

I’m not to put new tyres and tubes on it and start using it again or sell it !

It’s all original and in top condition except for needing the tyres etc. replaced.

Does anybody know what this maybe worth to sell please ?

I’ve seen them advertised in their hundreds up to a couple of grand......

Top Bottom