Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was a mixed year. Father in Law and Mother in Law died within 10 days of each other. The firm I was working for said that I was having too much time off work!:eek:.
My youngest Daughter was born just after Christmas.

The next year I found a job that I really had fun in. The Boss used to come round and tell us it was time to go home.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Started my business in 87 after site work.
Bought a new pickup truck and worked on sites and started private paving jobs.
Block paving had just become a new thing for private households.
We were the first in the area offering private paving in yellow page in the paving & driveway section.
3 years later there were over 20!!

The first drive we did is just around the corner and still ok, mucky and a few dips from ants worms etc but perfectly serviceable.

So glad i stopped doing paving last year, i have office worker hands and feel the most secure in getting paid ive ever been.

petek

Über Member
Our oldest lad joined up in 1987 at Army Junior Leaders in Colerne near Bath.
His brother followed him in a year later.
Proud of them then and proud of them still.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Rigid working hours strictly enforced? My god what happened since then.
The shift in workplace and management attitudes has been massive. I now work for one of the big old established banks but even here we are allowed to wear what we like, flexible hours are positively encouraged, I work from home several days a week, and the main monitoring of hours is to ensure we don’t work too many. A very far cry from the Dickensian attitudes of my first job.

petek

Über Member
Working from home is the only aspect of work that I've missed since being retired.
You can get so much more done at home than being in work.
Our old garden never looked better.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I first moved here to Bristol after graduating the previous year. I was on a CP too:smile:. Actually good fun as I ended up doing stuff for Friends of the Earth Recycling and BTCV.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No. 1988 was the first full year of GCSE. Pre-testing (back in the days when education policy was actually tested) started a few years earlier.

Sounds right. Some of my school year did trial GCSEs.

I've got a mix of CSEs, GCEs (O level) and GCSEs as a consequence.
It's always fun trying to explain what is equivalent to what to HR types...

robjh

Legendary Member
There was a cold spell in January, back in the days when we got snow. This is a picture of me setting out with my bike one morning in Leicester.
198701 snow Leicester (1).JPG

Top Bottom