1990's Olmo Super Light build thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

otherself

Fully lugged in.
I acquired this frame recently to build into something of a dream road bike. Its an NOS (new old stock) Olmo super light from the mid to late 90's. Unpainted Columbus Genius tubes 55cm c-t. No forks but I'll use a carbon 1" one. Bought from a seller in Torino, Italy, it had balls of italian newspaper printed in early 1998 within its shipping box so I assume that's when it was made (1997 perhaps??).

Having been inspired by youtuber "monkeyshred"' home spraying, I'd thought I'd too give it a go with the 'Montana' paint range. I ordered 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of silver and 1 each of purple and green, plus 1 can of gloss varnish. An online shop called fatbuddahstore was the source of the paint cans. I think I'll keep 3/4 of the rear triangle chromed which will require masking.

It'll be mostly silver with purple and green fades mid tube. Period correct decals sourced from eBay in white. I have a black carbon seatpost, black oval concepts stem & bars, black planet X rims/wheels, white SLR saddle, white bar tape and white jagwire cables. Groupset will be a mix of modern Tiagra 4700 and a slightly older (2006?) Ultegra 6650 sl crankset.

Frame is light at 1704g so I estimate 8.8 to 8.9kg total bike weight. Its a bit windy and hit and miss in late April, so I hope fine weather in early to mid May will be the window of opportunity to get it sprayed in my garden.

IMG-20210423-165601.jpg

IMG20210423165414.jpg

IMG20210423160538.jpg

IMG20210423160707.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great project but don’t spray in the garden, flies and insects will ruin your work.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wow! Nice one. My favourite bike by a country mile is my old Olmo - a very different beastie. Maybe early '70s steel-frame track bike, which I've converted to fixed. Not really lightweight at all (apparently track bikes have to be made with thicker tube to stop them crumpling from the first couple of pushes), but the best feel - tight & urgent & responsive - of any bike I've ever owned. Good luck with the painting. Should be an absolute honey when complete.

I acquired this frame recently to build into something of a dream road bike. Its an NOS (new old stock) Olmo super light from the mid to late 90's. Unpainted Columbus Genius tubes 55cm c-t. No forks but I'll use a carbon 1" one. Bought from a seller in Torino, Italy, it had balls of italian newspaper printed in early 1998 within its shipping box so I assume that's when it was made (1997 perhaps??).

Having been inspired by youtuber "monkeyshred"' home spraying, I'd thought I'd too give it a go with the 'Montana' paint range. I ordered 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of silver and 1 each of purple and green, plus 1 can of gloss varnish. An online shop called fatbuddahstore was the source of the paint cans. I think I'll keep 3/4 of the rear triangle chromed which will require masking.

It'll be mostly silver with purple and green fades mid tube. Period correct decals sourced from eBay in white. I have a black carbon seatpost, black oval concepts stem & bars, black planet X rims/wheels, white SLR saddle, white bar tape and white jagwire cables. Groupset will be a mix of modern Tiagra 4700 and a slightly older (2006?) Ultegra 6650 sl crankset.

Frame is light at 1704g so I estimate 8.8 to 8.9kg total bike weight. Its a bit windy and hit and miss in late April, so I hope fine weather in early to mid May will be the window of opportunity to get it sprayed in my garden.

View attachment 585659
View attachment 585660
View attachment 585661
View attachment 585662
Yours is a notch or two above mine (Sanremo) but it's a great ride nevertheless. It weighs a shade over 9kg.
Enjoy the build !

Top Bottom