1990's road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi

I have 2 modern Cannondale road bikes, and I am toying with the idea of buying a retro road bike from around the early 1990s era.

Does anyone have any thoughts on brands and models? so far I can only identify are Giant Peloton and the Trek range, eg Trek 1500.

I don't mind if its a restoration project, or if in good condition.

I don't particularly want a bike that takes 27inch wheels, ideally one that has 700c wheels. Any ideas?

thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why the early 1990s? Might you not as well go back a few more years to pre-87 and be totally Eroica-ready (which may help if you ever want to sell it, even if you don't care for the event), or are you wanting particular early-90s features?

midlife

Guru
1991 ish ........... that'l be a Moser Leader in Oria tubing then :smile:

file.php?id=170973.jpg

Shaun

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@pclay you are talking my language

beware with Giant Pelotons for some reason they seam to suffer more than any others i can think of with frozen seat posts , i have had at least 2 with frozen posts and there is normally at least 1 or 2 on e bay

this is one of my recent finds and its a mid 80's Wester Ross bike with new pictures 08/03

shout if you need any help or advice , i normally have a couple for sale

raleighnut

Legendary Member
002.JPG
This one is an 86 but with some modern bits on (and some old ones. :whistle:)

EDIT The decals/stickers were shot, nicked and peeling so were removed but my Equipe has an external BB (hollowtech) 105 crank on and 105 rear mech (and brakes)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
View attachment 131992 This one is an 86 but with some modern bits on (and some old ones. :whistle:)

EDIT The decals/stickers were shot, nicked and peeling so were removed but my Equipe has an external BB (hollowtech) 105 crank on and 105 rear mech (and brakes)
Is that really a Drillium saddle?

Hi

I have 2 modern Cannondale road bikes, and I am toying with the idea of buying a retro road bike from around the early 1990s era.

Does anyone have any thoughts on brands and models? so far I can only identify are Giant Peloton and the Trek range, eg Trek 1500.

I don't mind if its a restoration project, or if in good condition.

I don't particularly want a bike that takes 27inch wheels, ideally one that has 700c wheels. Any ideas?

thanks
Methinks you should get a vintage Cannondale then. At least Cannondale managed to change our perceptions of aluminium bikes and challenges the engineering conventions of the time.

Top Bottom