What Raleigh road bike did my older brother have?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is something that has been bugging me for a few years and I can't find a single image or mention of a bike that matches my memory despite occasional intense interogation of google.
Around the time I was 16'ish (1989-90) one of my older brothers bought a lovely Raleigh racer. It was steel framed and definitely sporty rather than touring biased. I guess he payed around £400 for it and the main thing about it was the colour scheme which if I remember correctly was blue around the tube joints with white tubes and a pastel fade in between which may have included some pink?

My brother was quite big built and a bit clumsy with it and the original wheels didn't last too long so I built him a good pair of Mavics laced with DT spokes as he often complained about a tendency for the bike to develop a 'tank slapper' at speed and he claimed this was due to flex in the 'crap' wheels. The new wheels lasted perfectly and never needed truing despite his cack handed abuse but he still said he was experiencing the problem and claimed the bike was somehow flawed or faulty. I borrowed the bike on several occasions (in exchange for giving it some serious TLC and trying to find any possible fault that could cause his woes) and despite some spirited and fast riding never suffered any untoward handling myself.

When he turned up a year or so later with the news he had 'got rid' of the bike because it was 'dangerous' I was dissapointed as I would really have liked the bike for myself, especially as I had given it so much care and attention. I often wonder if I could find one would i still be tempted by the retro early 90's roadbike/racer and was it as nice to ride as I remember?

Has anyone any idea what the bike may have been? It was either very late 80's, or more likely, first half of the 90's. I would class it as an out and out racer, no pretence of touring or commuting. Definitely a Raleigh and I am sure it had a Renolds tubing sticker. The colour scheme was distinctive with a deep blue faded to white with possibly more than one pastelly/neon colour (pinks and yellow?). Quick release wheels, Probably 14 gears with down tube shifters. I reckon the hubs must have been reasonable Shimano items because I re-used them in the new wheels even though cost wasn't really an issue.

Please somebody tell me what this bike was so I can begin to hunt for one or decide maybe I am not really as interested as I think I am :unsure:

Was it the Dynatech 500???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28322089@N02/6970974069/
Try having a gander on retrobike, there are some catalogs on there
must be in one of em!

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds like it might be one of the 531 framed clubs, I had a green one for years, started out as a fixed, but after a while I put gears on it.

raleigh 1.jpeg

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nope, none of those. I think I may have described its colours badly. Think early 90's flouro colours, it was pretty garish but dark blue to white with fades in flouro pinks and yellows. I seem to remember taking some pictures of it but they are old analogue ones so I will have to search the archives and see if they are still about.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, I couildn't leave it alone so had another look on t'interweb this morning and BINGO!

Found a brochure Raleigh Lightweights 1990 which had the bike in. A Raleigh Vitesse, 531 main tubes and Shimano 300EX with Biopace chainrings. Colours aren't exactly how I described them but it is definitely the bike and I then searched for 1991 Vitesse and found these pics which remove any doubt, that is definitely the bike I am looking for. Maybe an entry level model but from reading the spec it sounds like a decent bike for the time?

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
I like the downtube shifters that have the little twist tab to allow them to be friction or indexed.

Now, should I buy one if I get the chance?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, they were out a few years after I got my Raleigh Road Ace - Pearl white with blue head tube and a blue section near seat stay/top tube junction. Shimano 600 kit.

Would love another, but in a smaller size - was 1" too big !

Manonabike

Über Member
Well, I couildn't leave it alone so had another look on t'interweb this morning and BINGO!

Found a brochure Raleigh Lightweights 1990 which had the bike in. A Raleigh Vitesse, 531 main tubes and Shimano 300EX with Biopace chainrings. Colours aren't exactly how I described them but it is definitely the bike and I then searched for 1991 Vitesse and found these pics which remove any doubt, that is definitely the bike I am looking for. Maybe an entry level model but from reading the spec it sounds like a decent bike for the time?

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
I like the downtube shifters that have the little twist tab to allow them to be friction or indexed.

Now, should I buy one if I get the chance?

I bought one in 1990 and I still have it, in fact, I rode it today..... 32 miles. I love the frame and ride.
I have made a few changes to it though. I hated the colour so it's all in navy blue now. Replaced the downtube shifters with STI shifters, the crank, cassette and brakes are shimano 105, stem and handlebars are also new.... pedals and saddle ^_^ come to think of it only the frame and forks are original ^_^. Most of the components are still in my shed I think I gave away the cassette and dereilleurs but the rest I still have, Yesterday while I was looking for a cassette spacer I saw the downtube shifters :sad:.

Yes, if you have a chance, buy one. I definitely love mine and I don't plan ever to get rid of it. If I saw one for sale in as good a shape as mine is I'd probably buy it too.

BTW, the wheels are still in use ^_^, I have them in my SS - I'm a heavy bloke at 17 stones so I cannot explain how they have lasted so long.

Manonabike

Über Member
I bought one in 1990 and I still have it, in fact, I rode it today..... 32 miles. I love the frame and ride.
I have made a few changes to it though. I hated the colour so it's all in navy blue now. Replaced the downtube shifters with STI shifters, the crank, cassette and brakes are shimano 105, stem and handlebars are also new.... pedals and saddle ^_^ come to think of it only the frame and forks are original ^_^. Most of the components are still in my shed I think I gave away the cassette and dereilleurs but the rest I still have, Yesterday while I was looking for a cassette spacer I saw the downtube shifters :sad:.

Yes, if you have a chance, buy one. I definitely love mine and I don't plan ever to get rid of it. If I saw one for sale in as good a shape as mine is I'd probably buy it too.

BTW, the wheels are still in used ^_^, I have them in my SS - I'm a heavy bloke at 17 stones so I cannot explain how they have lasted so long.

I found some pictures of the bike before the I had it re-sprayed and all the upgrades.....

Attachments

• Picture 080_resized.png
    Picture 080_resized.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Picture 081_resized.png
    Picture 081_resized.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 082_resized.png
    Picture 082_resized.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 201

Manonabike

Über Member
This isn't helping! I think an N+1 might occur if I found one in the right size and condition:thumbsup:

I know ^_^ hard to resist, isn't it? :whistle:

Just a few more pics to make the pain..... a little easier? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 9dec_1.JPG
    9dec_1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 9d1a_1.JPG
    9d1a_1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 9c36_1.JPG
    9c36_1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 9eb0_1.JPG
    9eb0_1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yuk HERE'S one on ebay. It's in terrible condition with a big dent in the top tube and the seller is still asking for bids starting at £120. I won't consider one in such a poor state, will have to hold out in the hope that a better one shows up with a more realistic price.

Top Bottom