1990's road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is there a saddle in that pic? :smile::okay:
:giggle:

No, it's a Brooks B5n which is perforated for lacing (and was given to me for Christmas by John at Bob Warners) but is probably 10yrs older than the bike.

A better picture of that model of saddle (not mine sadly) showing the lacing holes better. :whistle:

20091204214001.jpg

love the models .......... nail polish:hyper:
Crikey, John at Bob Warners has changed a bit!
There's some great 90s bikes around, the decent ones don't seem to come any cheaper than "eroica ready" ones. even though Raleigh were on the way out by this time, they still made some cracking bikes in their so-called "Special Products Division" (which I suspect is what they called what was left of the manufacturing in UK) like the Dynatechs [glued together] and high end tourers; then some small volume builders managed to hold out, like Mercian, but they're never cheap. Italians never went away, but again, v.pricey :eek:
And then there's the rise of the yank bikes.....
So what is it exactly about 90s bikes that you like?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Crikey, John at Bob Warners has changed a bit!
There's some great 90s bikes around, the decent ones don't seem to come any cheaper than "eroica ready" ones. even though Raleigh were on the way out by this time, they still made some cracking bikes in their so-called "Special Products Division" (which I suspect is what they called what was left of the manufacturing in UK) like the Dynatechs [glued together] and high end tourers; then some small volume builders managed to hold out, like Mercian, but they're never cheap. Italians never went away, but again, v.pricey :eek:
And then there's the rise of the yank bikes.....
So what is it exactly about 90s bikes that you like?
It isn't just 80s-90s bikes I like, some makers are turning out good bikes today but I do prefer Steel.
The Equipe and my Road Ace (531) frames were free, as were the Raleigh 'Outlander', the City and the Ridgeback, I then built em up into bikes using the best components I can afford at the time (generally 105) and components can tend to 'float about' between bikes (if I get a good bit of kit that'll go on a frame and what was fitted to that will go onto another less favoured bike)
A lot of the frames came from Cyclemagic in Leicester (that was a non-profit making enterprise) and were mostly frames that no-one wanted at the time so they were glad to see the back of them, the exception being my 653 TT frame (Maker not known and no serial No. or any form of ID on it) which I saw there and asked Simon about only to be told "I'll have to charge you for that one". A guy who worked there had tried building it up but it was too big for him so he'd swapped everything over to another smaller frame (he had the pick of about 200 frames and went for a 531 Galaxy) luckily the seatpost was a different size so my frame came with it still fitted (it's a Campagnolo one) as is the headset so after 'mocking it up' so I could see how it rode (nicking the bits off another frame) that got built up all Campy.
I'd love to commission a new Mercian frame or similar (in 753) but can't afford one for now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
trek-600-closer-on-stonebridge_edited-1.jpg

1985 Trek 600, 531c with indexed downtube shifters and Shimano 600 tricolor gruppo. Just about the finest bike I've ever owned. This was from the first years production at the factory, previous Treks were handbuilt in a barn. It was well made, in Waterloo, Wisconsin, and better riding than many of the earlier, hand-built Treks, in my opinion.I think the 531c made a big difference, and this one has the 50 year 531 commemorative label.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'd love their 'Audax Special' to use as a 'Light Tourer' but the frame is a grand (plus the dreaded) and I don't think that includes the fork. :cry:
ouch

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Hey, thanks for the responses. I only said 1990s as I assume it's so where around this time that she'll sizes changed from 28inch to 700c. I would like to have the option of using modern wheels.

I had never heard of eroica until a couple of days ago, so this is not the reason for asking. I just like the look of older bikes, with down tube shifters.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No, it's a Brooks B5n which is perforated for lacing (and was given to me for Christmas by John at Bob Warners) but is probably 10yrs older than the bike.

A better picture of that model of saddle (not mine sadly) showing the lacing holes better. :whistle:

20091204214001.jpg

I've seen this optical illusion before, if you stare at it for long enough you can eventually see a lady is holding the sexy saddle

;)

Top Bottom