1991 Raleigh MTB, thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Massive long post, sorry.

I have a Raleigh Amazon MTB from 1991. Frame and forks in good condition, other components tired. Paint and decals almost perfect, as I tend to look after things. It was my only bike for a while, then became the ‘holiday bike’ when in France, and finally it’s been in the shed and neglected. Last year I decided to refurb it, and I did so as cheaply as possible to see if it was worth doing properly (I hope that makes sense). Probably cost me less than £100 to do, and the bike is now working fine. It’s got new (cheap) 26” wheels, Clarke V brakes, a better seat post and some straight bars with Giant grips, and new cables throughout. Everything dismantled, cleaned, lubed and adjusted. I took it for 20 miles of gentle lanes today and it performed as well as it ever has. To be honest, I was really pleased with it.

I also have an ebike as a utility vehicle, and until yesterday I had a newish hybrid I wasn’t using. I sold the hybrid to a mate, and now I have got a couple of hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket. I was going to put it towards a smart new hybrid (I’m losing weight and getting fitter, and I want a decent bike as part of that). But then today I had a thought. Would it be a better idea to use the money to refurb the Amazon a second time, but do it with good components and to a higher standard? I’d get a bike that I know is comfy and that I like the looks of, but hopefully more efficient and reliable. Or is this just chucking good money after bad? One problem I found last year was finding parts that are compatible - such as a quill stem (I ended up sanding and painting the old one) and brakes with the correct reach etc. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? £200 would buy a lot of nice new bits.

I know you guys like your older bikes, and I know there was a bit of love for the Amazon when I mentioned it here before. So I’m just looking for thoughts really. Has anyone refurbed an older bike with modern (or period but new) components, or is it a wild goose chase? Is it worth doing, or am I being a misty-eyed romantic who needs a good slap? Any observations would be welcome, either to encourage me or save me from throwing money away. My wife says a) don’t get a new bike, and b) don’t do anything to the Amazon because it’s working OK. I’m sure you would all agree that’s not really in the spirit, is it?

One specific query: the bike has Shimano 100GS gears. They are an early form of indexed thumbshifters and I really like them. The performance is adequate and I have ridden a lot better, but I love the two thumb buttons rather than the modern thumb and finger design and would prefer to keep that arrangement. Are any modern shifters designed like that?

Tom B

Guru
One specific query: the bike has Shimano 100GS gears. They are an early form of indexed thumbshifters and I really like them. The performance is adequate and I have ridden a lot better, but I love the two thumb buttons rather than the modern thumb and finger design and would prefer to keep that arrangement. Are any modern shifters designed like that?

You've just taken me back 25years or so.

I had a pair of these on my first MTB, wore them shiny. Loved them and would love a set of similar modern shifters in 8 speed for my current bike.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
You've just taken me back 25years or so.

I had a pair of these on my first MTB, wore them shiny. Loved them and would love a set of similar modern shifters in 8 speed for my current bike.
Glad I am not the only one. I've ridden a few bikes with the finger/thumb levers and the finger trigger always seems to be where I want to put my index finger. I end up pointing my finger over the top of the grip. Adjusting the lever so my hand has room means that the trigger is now out of reach behind the brake lever. I have fairly large hands, maybe that's why. But the 100GS setup with a small grey button over a large black button is unobtrusive and easy to use. Apparently the arrangement confused people and they discontinued it. If I could find a similar setup today I would build a whole transmission around it. :smile:

Tom B

Guru
Glad I am not the only one. I've ridden a few bikes with the finger/thumb levers and the finger trigger always seems to be where I want to put my index finger. I end up pointing my finger over the top of the grip. Adjusting the lever so my hand has room means that the trigger is now out of reach behind the brake lever. I have fairly large hands, maybe that's why. But the 100GS setup with a small grey button over a large black button is unobtrusive and easy to use. Apparently the arrangement confused people and they discontinued it. If I could find a similar setup today I would build a whole transmission around it. :smile:

I seem to end up plucking the finger trigger from underneath somehow as opposed to using it over the bar. I've often pondered if they're designed with this in mind, but doubt it.

SGG on a bike

A couple of questions spring to mind.

Firstly, why was the hybrid not being used, resulting in the sale? You obviously like the Amazon and perhaps in some way, preferred it to the hybrid.

Secondly, how much of a gain would you realistically make by upgrading the Amazon further? If you’re happy with how it rides, why change it?

I guess I probably agree with your wife’s opinion overall. Ultimately, it’s your bike and your choice. I believe you’d probably only get marginal gains for more expense and maybe not the best bang for buck by going down that route. I’d be inclined to enjoy and treasure it for what it is.

I’m running a 1995/6 GT Outpost. It’s not one of the lighter, better models from that range in that era, but it mostly does what I want it to. Whilst it’s not a restoration project, I am trying to keep it period with any changes made as I like the originality of it. The only thing that’s non period is the tyres. I’ve changed the brakes for new, very slightly updated but visually, virtually identical versions of the originals. When the time comes to further replace worn components, I’ll see what’s available then, but I’m not anticipating any major upgrades in spec. Having a chat with a small group this morning while out riding, it drew a bit of interest because it’s mostly original and there was certainly a little love for it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My rational side agrees with your wife.

But, if it was mine I would gradually add some shiny bling. I put a Nitto Periscopa stem on my 1995 tourer and enjoy its smooth shinyness on every ride!

Fun is allowed!

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Fitting something like a HT2 Deore crank would drop a bit of weight, I take it you've gone to Aluminium handlebars/seatpost.
Ali seatpost, steel bars for now. Both mega cheap, so upgradable without guilt.

The bike still has the original Biopace chainrings, and in good order. I am keen to keep those. I know they’re not universally popular, but I really like them. If they cost me a few grams, I’m OK with that. In fact, it’s not ultimate lightness that I am after, but rather good quality in keeping with the age of the bike.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
A couple of questions spring to mind.

Firstly, why was the hybrid not being used, resulting in the sale? You obviously like the Amazon and perhaps in some way, preferred it to the hybrid.

Secondly, how much of a gain would you realistically make by upgrading the Amazon further? If you’re happy with how it rides, why change it?

I guess I probably agree with your wife’s opinion overall. Ultimately, it’s your bike and your choice. I believe you’d probably only get marginal gains for more expense and maybe not the best bang for buck by going down that route. I’d be inclined to enjoy and treasure it for what it is.
It was a bit of an impulse buy. I wanted to do more on the pushbikes and less on the ebike, and I think I just thought a new bike would fit the bill. Perhaps blame a long night shift with internet access and no one looking over my shoulder. A young work colleague posted on Facebook that he was looking for a hybrid, I knew was on strict lockdown with a young family and going nuts, and we did a deal. However, circumstances meant I wasn’t doing much cycling anyway, so it didn’t get used.

I’m very fond of the Amazon and would never get rid of it, so selling that was never in question. However, I do have a habit of rooting for the underdog, and making the Amazon into the best bike it could be has a great appeal. I got £200 for the hybrid. My thoughts are 1: spend the money on high quality but sympathetic upgrades for the Amazon, or 2: put (a lot of) extra cash towards buying a really good quality hybrid that will become my main bike. Relegate the Amazon to the shed. There are advantages to both.

SGG on a bike

It was a bit of an impulse buy. I wanted to do more on the pushbikes and less on the ebike, and I think I just thought a new bike would fit the bill. Perhaps blame a long night shift with internet access and no one looking over my shoulder. A young work colleague posted on Facebook that he was looking for a hybrid, I knew was on strict lockdown with a young family and going nuts, and we did a deal. However, circumstances meant I wasn’t doing much cycling anyway, so it didn’t get used.

I’m very fond of the Amazon and would never get rid of it, so selling that was never in question. However, I do have a habit of rooting for the underdog, and making the Amazon into the best bike it could be has a great appeal. I got £200 for the hybrid. My thoughts are 1: spend the money on high quality but sympathetic upgrades for the Amazon, or 2: put (a lot of) extra cash towards buying a really good quality hybrid that will become my main bike. Relegate the Amazon to the shed. There are advantages to both.
Totally get where you’re coming from. I think you hit the nail on the head with sympathetic. That makes a lot of sense. There’s no right or wrong answers here, just personal preference. Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to post a thread and some photos. I’m sure we’d all like to see them, I know I would.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Totally get where you’re coming from. I think you hit the nail on the head with sympathetic. That makes a lot of sense. There’s no right or wrong answers here, just personal preference. Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to post a thread and some photos. I’m sure we’d all like to see them, I know I would.
Definitely will. In terms of 'sympathetic', I am thinking of quality alloy components that look roughly contemporary, decent upgrades on components that were distinctly budget at the time. It was very much a mid-range bike. An example of the advice I will need - I understand that Shimano make a cantilever brake setup which would be ideal to replace the moulded plastic originals, which are a bit battered by now. But I would have no idea if they would fit the bike, and it was quite a lot of money to spend on spec. Someone will have experience of this upgrade. I see the finished bike with polished alloy stem and seat post, matching straight bars, and good quality derailleurs and brakes. It's got my Brooks B72 on it at the moment (very retro with those coil springs) but I think we could do better now I am 20+ kilos lighter. Thanks for your supportive comments.

SGG on a bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
My GT has Shimano Altus BT90 Canti brakes as original, complete with the grey plastic caps that break. I’ve just replaced them with the Altus BT91s which are identical looking apart from a black plastic cap. Cost 15-18 each if that helps. Happy to take measurements from mine if it helps?

edit to add link....Same as these. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/front-shimano-altus-ct91-cantilever-brakes-silver/
I think they are the ones I hesitated about the first time. If they fit yours and the reviewer on that page with a 1990 bike, then they will probably fit OK. Good price too. Thanks for the link. Reading the Q&As, it looks like there is plenty oif adjustment, so no need for you to take measurements, but thanks for the offer. Think I'll go for these.

Update - just ordered a pair. They only had rear in stock, but say that the only difference between front and rear is the position of the blocks.
Yay - it begins.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you're attached to the Raleigh, by all means keep and upgrade it. It'll never be a "classic" MTB though, as the MTBs eneryone wanted then were Marins, Konas, Oranges, GTs, Fishers, etc. Saracen at a push. Most of them were new MTB-specific brands and therefore "cooler".

Top Bottom