1995 Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DBoyd

When visiting a cousin in N. Ireland last week, out of the blue he produced a Brompton from the back of his garage and asked me to take it off his hands. He had been given it for a specific work project during the 1990's but did not need it and did not like it, so after using it three or four times he stuck it under its cover in the back of his garage, where it has sat ever since ! He had a lockdown clear out, wanted shot of it, and thought I might have some use for it. I didn't want it myself, but agreed to bring it back to England, and if I got anything for it we would give the money to a charity that helps one of his family members.

It is has a frame number of 21342, which some web research suggests means it was manufactured in 1995, and is in almost perfect condition. We pumped up the tyres - which stayed pumped up, and rode it and all was fine. It is black and has 6-speed Sturmey Archer gears. It is however very heavy - not something I would carry on and off the train every day.

I have no idea what it might be worth or what channel I should try to sell it through - all the second-hand Bromptons being sold online are much newer and I suspect a lot lighter. My local bike shop suggested I look at a User Forum for ideas - hence the post. Any suggestions about valuation or how/where I should try selling it ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check prices on eBay, that should give you a good indication of how much you can sell for.
Id think somewhere around £500 if in good rideable condition. Check the tyres for perishing, they’ll probably need replacement, or sell as is which the proviso it’ll need some work.
All Bromptons are heavy, even the new ones.

Last edited:
When visiting a cousin in N. Ireland last week, out of the blue he produced a Brompton from the back of his garage and asked me to take it off his hands. He had been given it for a specific work project during the 1990's but did not need it and did not like it, so after using it three or four times he stuck it under its cover in the back of his garage, where it has sat ever since ! He had a lockdown clear out, wanted shot of it, and thought I might have some use for it. I didn't want it myself, but agreed to bring it back to England, and if I got anything for it we would give the money to a charity that helps one of his family members.

It is has a frame number of 21342, which some web research suggests means it was manufactured in 1995, and is in almost perfect condition. We pumped up the tyres - which stayed pumped up, and rode it and all was fine. It is black and has 6-speed Sturmey Archer gears. It is however very heavy - not something I would carry on and off the train every day.

I have no idea what it might be worth or what channel I should try to sell it through - all the second-hand Bromptons being sold online are much newer and I suspect a lot lighter. My local bike shop suggested I look at a User Forum for ideas - hence the post. Any suggestions about valuation or how/where I should try selling it ?
May be wrong but I had the idea that the 6 speed came in after that.

Thanks for the steer on value. The tyres are surprisingly not perished and have stayed up for over a week now.

Just checked gears and is actually a 5-speed, not 6.
I have the 5 speed. I think it great as no derailleur. Folk have to be careful to not ride it when the hub/toggle wire is out of adjustment though.

Mine was called the traveller I think. Rack as standard. Came with a dynamo and dynamo front and rear lights but they were pretty useless and connections kept playing up so I took that off.
Shorter wheelbase than more modern Brommies I think though I have never really found a problem with mine and remain slightly puzzled about the advantages of the new longer wheelbase ones.
Damn fine bikes and I would have thought a near mint 5 speed would command a premium. Brakes not as good as newer brommies but I have always stopped OK.
They get around.

I bought mine towards the end of last century, just a matter of weeks before the 5 speed was discontinued as Sturmey Archer got flogged off by some financial adventurers and brommie's access to the 5 speed gearbox was interupted/stopped.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I don't find my Bromptie a whole lot heavier than my Surly Steamroller or my Holdsworth. At the moment it has 2 chainrings, a 3 speed chainpusher rear hub and a 480 gram leather saddle and Ergons with little stubby bullhorns. Around 25 lbs. When loaded up with a cable lock, 22 oz steel vacuum water bottle a tool roll, a bag on the front block and 4 or 5 hardback books it weighs at least 10 lbs more, but so would any other of my bikes with all that crap, and unlike them, the ride is improved with the front weight. It is still my favorite unless the roads are icy and snowy.

Top Bottom