1st 20 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only a small step I know but did my first 20 miler today at 23 miles took my time and made a nice ride out of it rather than my normal lets go as fast as possible at all times effort.
I did get defeated by my first hill though. The sign said 14% but it looked worse :smile: I got a third of the way and hit a bend prayed for a let up or for the top to be in site but I was greeted by more of the same. Never mind I dont think a triple would have got me much further instead of my compact. I will try again in a month or two when the fitness has increased a bit more.
At least when I got over the top I got to go down this one

4891692886_34862e7c61_b.jpg
">

4891692874_6130d57fbb_b.jpg
">

and this is how to make a really bad video with the camera strapped to your chest not a good idea :smile: oh and how not to get up a hill
Warning will make you seasick :smile:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fqzG2TwQsyE

Well done, no disgrace in not managing a 14% on your first 20 :smile:

Your Youtube clip makes me feel a bit seasick though. I thought my video of Law Hill was too wobbly ;)

OP
OP
captainhastings
Cheers folks I just got these stats off ride with ride with gps

Created: Aug 15, '10, 01:46PM
Starts in: SA33 4, GB
Distance: 22.3 mi
Selection Distance: 22.3 mi
Elevation: + 1724 / - 1723 ft
Max Grade:
19.8 %
Avg. Grade:
0.6 %

good site that. Planning a 30 + for next weekend now

lukesdad

Well done CH why not make it a 40 the weekend after and come down to Llandovery for the CC ride. If you fancy some company for a chinwag on a ride nearer to home PM me I can get down to you in about 30 mins.

OP
OP
captainhastings
Well done CH why not make it a 40 the weekend after and come down to Llandovery for the CC ride. If you fancy some company for a chinwag on a ride nearer to home PM me I can get down to you in about 30 mins.

That sounds like a an idea to me. For some reason I thought it was only few weeks before my half marathon but there is a good 6 weeks or more gap so thats good.
I am a complete novice though who has yet to fix a puncture/change tube road side and I don't want to hold any one up speed wise or any other reason.
Do you have a map of the route ? I used to work on the sugar loaf years ago and I remember hills :biggrin:

Well done Captain. Give it six months and you'll be doing 50 miles or above.

Thanks Mark I hope so

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
That sounds like a an idea to me. For some reason I thought it was only few weeks before my half marathon but there is a good 6 weeks or more gap so thats good.
I am a complete novie though who has yet to fix a puncture/change tube road side and I don't want to hold any one up speed wise or any other reason.
Do you have a map of the route ? I used to work on the sugar loaf years ago and I remember hills :biggrin:

Thanks Mark I hope so

Congratulations on the 23 Captain H No disgrace on getting off on a big hill.I have a triple and still get defeated now and then,When you get a bit fitter go back and ride it again, the sense of achievment in riding a hill that you had to walk up before is a great feeling.

Re the Llandovery ride, dont worry about holding anyone up, I am going and could do with some company at the back:biggrin: .Should be some spectacular scenery and I think a cafe or pub stop is on the agenda.

OP
OP
captainhastings
Congratulations on the 23 Captain H No disgrace on getting off on a big hill.I have a triple and still get defeated now and then,When you get a bit fitter go back and ride it again, the sense of achievment in riding a hill that you had to walk up before is a great feeling.

Re the Llandovery ride, dont worry about holding anyone up, I am going and could do with some company at the back:biggrin: .Should be some spectacular scenery and I think a cafe or pub stop is on the agenda.

Great stuff see you all there

carpiste

Guru
Just done my 1st 20 too! managed 21.3 miles @just over 12mph average.Pretty level ride made it easier but very satisfying.
Now all I have to do is build up for a 50!

Top Bottom