1st Autumn/Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Starting to feel comfortable calling myself a 'Cyclist',so this will be my first Autumn/Winter as a Cyclist.

Any advice would be welcome, on what to expect etc

Think I have covered most bases from a clothing perspective.

Is there any kit I should be buying for the Bike?

Are winter tyres a thing?

It all depends on what type of cyclist you are.

Commuter? Amateur/weekend cyclist? Solo or group rider?

boydj

Legendary Member
Even if you take on board all the advice and equipment recommended, expect it to be hard and de-spiriting.

Prepare for a 6 month slog. Consecutive days of wind, rain and cold are common. Some days you'll be unwell, some days the bike.

Every so often, you will get those days where everything will be just right, and all the previous suffering will be forgotten.

All this is very true - winter cycling requires a mindset that can see the benefits overcoming the downsides.

I commuted into the centre of Glasgow for years and the thought of waiting on buses and/or trains was almost always enough motivation to get the bike out except in the very worst weather. The car was never a practical option. What I've found is that the weather always looks worse from the living-room window than it is once you get out there, and once you're wet, you'll soon warm up. Then there's always the glow from having done it and the admiration of your colleagues (the ones who don't think you're a lunatic).

When it was wet, the chain always got a run through a cloth and then a spray of GT85 to drive out the water as soon as I got home, and then some fresh oil either later in the evening or before setting off in the morning.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Winter riding isn't very complicated. Get some decent clothing, fit mudguards, use lights. Get a good rainjacket - better to keep the body warm even if it traps sweat than exposing it to cold and wet rain. If there is ice around don't ride. Clean the bike regularly.

My number one tip is carry a spare base layer. If you get sweaty and then cold change your base layer. I put the dry one next to my skin and the damp one on top.

Winter riding is great. We don't get anything like the number of bad days people imagine. The only thing which stops us riding is heavy rain or ice.

Keep riding and you'll be stronger and fitter in the spring.

12boy

Guru
Once or twice I've had a flat in -12 C. Unfortunately it was on my Brompton, which can be a bit difficult to remove/replace tires on, even in warm weather. Fortunately it was on my Brompton so my wife could give me a ride to work where it could be fixed in the warm. Having a shower at work, a hot shower after a frosty ride is very nice.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It all depends on what type of cyclist you are.

Commuter? Amateur/weekend cyclist? Solo or group rider?
Wot he said.

I can pick and choose when I ride my bike so I can avoid the worst weather. FWIW I ride the same bike summer and winter (although I'll wash it more often in the winter).

The only clothing I'll wear in the winter that I don't wear in the summer is overshoes if the roads are wet, light gloves if it's really cold and maybe a light showerproof jacket or gilet again if it's really cold and damp, and running tights. On a normal, dry winter day I'll just wear running tights under shorts and a short sleeved cycling top with a thermal underneath

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Don't go out in the dark, when it is raining, snowing, very windy. Beware of dead leaves on the road and ride at least 1 metre from the edge of the road. Don't go out if the temperature is less than 6 degrees to avoid icy roads and don't ride on manhole covers.
Use a turbo at home if possible to keep your legs in good shape.
Basically, bad weather means trouble so avoid it. Ignore people who say: There is no bad weather, just the wrong clothing. This is absolute nonsense. Respect the weather , stay at home if dangerous outside and you will ride another day.

Lovacott

Über Member
Keep the extremities warm and as dry as possible, so good quality gloves, overshoes or winter boots, and a skull cap for the head and ears under your normal headgear are all essential, as is a good quality winter jacket.

I'm looking for a pair of gloves which won't cost me the earth. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Thank you everyone for the advice/suggestions.
With the exception of gloves my winter clothing was sorted prior to posting;
Having spent a few quid at my local LBS yesterday on winter tyres,mudguards,whilst dropping my TCR back for it's long awaited warranty swop out,which has proved to be worth the wait,Giant have ended up doing me a straight upgrade from my TCR 2 to an Advance Pro.
Last night I invested in a £9.99 pair of Aldi gloves.
GT85 spray also proved to be cheap in Aldi.

rivers

How far can I go?
These were a godsend last winter

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIOOBO-Handlebar-Mittens-Weather-Protector/dp/B07ZJ4CXGW/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=bar+mitts&qid=1600766107&sr=8-10
. Kept my hands warm and dry with only a thin pair of gloves. But as others have said, layers are key. I tend to start my ride off a bit chilly for the first 5 or so minutes, but once I get going, I'm toasty warm. I also invested in a pair of winter cycling shoes (if you ride clipless). I don't worry about specific winter tyres, because if it's that icy I'm taking the bus in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't go out in the dark, when it is raining, snowing, very windy. Beware of dead leaves on the road and ride at least 1 metre from the edge of the road. Don't go out if the temperature is less than 6 degrees to avoid icy roads and don't ride on manhole covers.
Use a turbo at home if possible to keep your legs in good shape.
Basically, bad weather means trouble so avoid it. Ignore people who say: There is no bad weather, just the wrong clothing. This is absolute nonsense. Respect the weather , stay at home if dangerous outside and you will ride another day.
Some of us don't own any other vehicles than bikes, if I need to get somewhere I just dress appropriately. I do have a few walking jackets (Hawkshead) and whilst not OK on a road bike they're fine on an MTB/Hybrid, for full on freezing days (-10c) I also own a hand knitted Alpaca jumper my ex bought me back from South America when she went on a 3 week 'Machu Pichu' trek now that is toasty.

I think the important bit to note is that everyone has a different cut-off for when they will go out and when they won't. There is no hard and fast rule.

Me, as long as it's dry, not too windy or not too foggy, I'll quite happily head out regardless of the temperatures, though I'll tailor my route to the conditions. I genuinely don't mind riding in the dark, and since I tend to go out once I'm done doing stuff for the day, it is, inevitably, dark. :laugh:

Top Bottom