1st Autumn/Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm looking for a pair of gloves which won't cost me the earth. Any recommendations?

I've a couple of pairs of skiing gloves, and Decathlon are good value. I've not had to buy any since I retired a few years ago and stopped commuting, but to some extent you get what you pay for. I used to wear a pair of thin, silk gloves inside the cycling gloves when it was really cold. Check out reviews.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've got the zefal can,not sure if I'm stupid or brave but I don't carry a pump.
A decent giyo 7" telescoping emergency pump can be had for a tenner (GP-61 and some letter IIRC). Takes ages to get a 37mm tyre to 60psi but still better than walking 4 miles IMO!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Don't go out in the dark, when it is raining, snowing, very windy. Beware of dead leaves on the road and ride at least 1 metre from the edge of the road. Don't go out if the temperature is less than 6 degrees to avoid icy roads and don't ride on manhole covers.
Use a turbo at home if possible to keep your legs in good shape.
Basically, bad weather means trouble so avoid it. Ignore people who say: There is no bad weather, just the wrong clothing. This is absolute nonsense. Respect the weather , stay at home if dangerous outside and you will ride another day.
^ This!
I abandoned a January audax a few years back, riders were sliding and falling off on ice a few miles into it. I met a woman on an audax later that year that was one of the fallers coincidentally, she broke her collar bone and had to have several months off the bike. Spin bike in the garage for me if it’s frosty...

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Clothing wise it is better to be wet than cold. Windproof is better than waterproof, most cycling clothing isn't truly waterproof anyway. Winter boots or decent overshoes. Decent winter gloves are essential IMHO. Reflective accents or panels trump hi viz/fluorescent every time for me

Not sure I agree with that in Autumn/winter situations. If you are cold but dry you can cycle faster and that will warm up the core, even if not the extremities. If you get wet through you will struggle to keep warm no matter what speed you are going.

RoadRider400

I'm looking for a pair of gloves which won't cost me the earth. Any recommendations?
Any faux leather driving gloves. Keeps your hands warm, dry and protected if you have an off. Most will be cheaper than any cycling specific gloves too.

Lovacott

Über Member
Any faux leather driving gloves. Keeps your hands warm, dry and protected if you have an off. Most will be cheaper than any cycling specific gloves too.
I have noticed that cycling specific gloves tend to be £20 a pair more expensive than anything else.

RoadRider400

Road bike wobbly brake shifters pinch and tear cheap gloves easily.
What physical characteristic of "cheap" gloves causes them to tear?

RoadRider400

I'm not a materials scientist but something like the faux leather mentioned above won't stand being pinched by the levers and then pulled out of it very often before it's cracked/torn.
Well they have lasted since I started commuting in January 2016. Not bad for £9.

boydj

Legendary Member

I've never heard of waterproof driving gloves, especially not ones that would be suitable for a winter commute on a bicycle.

- Clothes (lots said in this thread already). Wet but warm is ok, wet but cold not so much. Get some decent overshoes, your shoes will thank you. Long fingered gloves when it starts getting colder.

- Lights, plenty to choose from and not too expensive these days. Get a decent rechargeable front and rear light and also have a backup pair for when you forget to recharge them. Make a habit to recharge them at work. How bright depends on if your commute is all streetlit or not.

- Check the weather forecast the night before to see if it is going below zero. If you are on main roads then you should be ok but be wary about frozen puddles in the gutters so take it slow. Settling snow I would personally sack of the cycle commute unless you have studded tires or you know what you are doing.

- Wet leaves are very slippery and the council has a habit of not sweeping them up until every single one has fallen.

- Drivers drive like idiots when the sun is low in the sky, be wary.

- Motivation is required but you will feel good for sticking with it.

Twilkes

Guru
The danger period is that time when the sun is low during commuter hours, esp if you have an E-W road direction..

Second this, got clipped by a car wing mirror at 50mph once, slight reddening of thigh, no idea how it missed the handlebars. Lights on days like this may help.

Top Bottom