1st Autumn/Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Dusk is the worst time I find, Oh and drivers blindly blasting along although they cannot see clearly.

Yeah this was Shrewsbury to Telford, pretty much bang on east to west, so at some times of the year I'd be riding into the low sun into the morning and then back into it again on the way home! From behind there's really not much you can do, but it's worth bearing in mind if the sun's behind you and you/cars are turning across each other.

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
Loads of good advice here. I would add - go to Aldi or Lidl during their cycling weeks and get a pair of their £2.99 lights, then sling them in the saddlebag. They weigh next to nothing, are tiny, but give an adequate light if you are careful. May be a lifesaver one day. As others have said, reflectives are better than fluorescents for being visible to cars. I had reflective slap bands on wrists and ankles. Ankle movement in headlights is totally distinctive of a cyclist, and a reflector on your wrist makes signals easy to see. A car driving on a dark road on dipped headlights will only see your lower half, so things like ankle bands and reflective tyres are excellent.

I used to do a rural commute to my night shift job a few years ago. Setting off home in the dark at 7 am and watching the world wake up as I rode was magical. Fell off on a patch of ice once, and got soaked a few times, but I miss it.

Lovacott

Über Member
I have to say that on the face of it,my £9.99 Aldi Neoprene Gloves look & feel really good quality.
I was in Mountain Warehouse in Falmouth on Saturday and they had a pair of quality Ski gloves on the rack at £12.59. All of the other gloves were £23.99 minimum.

I asked the shop assistant if they were water proof (or water resistant) and she took them from me and started to read the label. At the same time, she scratched off the £12.59 label to reveal the £23.99 label underneath.

So I bought them from Amazon instead for £14.00 carriage paid. They just arrived and I like them very much.

1601314565697.png

RichardB

Slightly retro
I was in Mountain Warehouse in Falmouth on Saturday and they had a pair of quality Ski gloves on the rack at £12.59. All of the other gloves were £23.99 minimum.

I asked the shop assistant if they were water proof (or water resistant) and she took them from me and started to read the label. At the same time, she scratched off the £12.59 label to reveal the £23.99 label underneath.

So I bought them from Amazon instead for £14.00 carriage paid. They just arrived and I like them very much.

View attachment 549687

Have I got this right? You declined to buy the gloves in Mountain Warehouse at £12.59, but went home and ordered them from
Amazon at £14.00? You paid more and then had to wait for delivery?

They look nice, mind.

Lovacott

Über Member
Have I got this right? You declined to buy the gloves in Mountain Warehouse at £12.59, but went home and ordered them from
Amazon at £14.00? You paid more and then had to wait for delivery?

They look nice, mind.
I was happy to buy them at £12.59 from Mountain Warehouse but that label was a remnant from the summer sales (when people don't buy winter gloves).

It was one pair amongst thirty or so on the rack where they'd forgotten to pick off the sale price label and the shop assistant spotted it and promptly removed it (making it £23.99 per pair).

I'm really chuffed with the pair I had delivered today. Good grip on the palm and fingers for brakes and gears and they are really warm.

Should be a tough remainder of the week with rain, gales and low temperatures all in the forecast.

Hopefully, the gloves will do the job.

Top Bottom