1st bike advice and suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lukew, 16 Jul 2012.

1. lukew

lukew New Member

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new bike (my first since I was a teenager) and I have a budget of about £500.

I'm planning on buying a hybrid as I want to ride on roads and also some trails (mainly woodland/public paths, nothing too demanding, gravel/grass etc) so I'd like something fast but also something strong enough to take off-road occasionally.

Have the following in mind:

Giant Seek 3
    Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc
    Boardman Performance Comp - better spec apparently but don't like the white!

Don't think I'm overly fussed about having front suspension, and a friend of mine said for my price range it wouldnt be worth it. Wouldn't mind the idea of putting a rack on it and going away for long rides too. But as long as it can handle roads fast and also some trails I'd be happy.

Any other bikes I should consider? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. goody

goody Über Member

I wouldn't bother with front suspension which rules out the crosstrail, I'd also want a nine speed groupset which rules out the Giant. That leaves the Boardman which is a nice looking bike but if it's really hilly and you want a triple on the front (like a mountain bike) it might not be suitable. The Scott sub 30 is a nice looking machine might be a bit above your budget at £570 (might be discounted though).

3. stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke Senior Member

something with sram apex and a big cog on rear casette would be better than tripple. i had a boardman roadcomp with it untill it got knicked today lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice