1st bike advice and suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukew

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new bike (my first since I was a teenager) and I have a budget of about £500.

I'm planning on buying a hybrid as I want to ride on roads and also some trails (mainly woodland/public paths, nothing too demanding, gravel/grass etc) so I'd like something fast but also something strong enough to take off-road occasionally.

Have the following in mind:

Giant Seek 3
Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc
Boardman Performance Comp - better spec apparently but don't like the white!

Don't think I'm overly fussed about having front suspension, and a friend of mine said for my price range it wouldnt be worth it. Wouldn't mind the idea of putting a rack on it and going away for long rides too. But as long as it can handle roads fast and also some trails I'd be happy.

Any other bikes I should consider? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

goody

Veteran
I wouldn't bother with front suspension which rules out the crosstrail, I'd also want a nine speed groupset which rules out the Giant. That leaves the Boardman which is a nice looking bike but if it's really hilly and you want a triple on the front (like a mountain bike) it might not be suitable. The Scott sub 30 is a nice looking machine might be a bit above your budget at £570 (might be discounted though).

stephen.rooke

I wouldn't bother with front suspension which rules out the crosstrail, I'd also want a nine speed groupset which rules out the Giant. That leaves the Boardman which is a nice looking bike but if it's really hilly and you want a triple on the front (like a mountain bike) it might not be suitable. The Scott sub 30 is a nice looking machine might be a bit above your budget at £570 (might be discounted though).

something with sram apex and a big cog on rear casette would be better than tripple. i had a boardman roadcomp with it untill it got knicked today lol

Top Bottom