1st bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djc

Hi,

I am looking at buying a bike but only want to spend about £200- £250, I would be looking at road and country lanes for leisure. I am 6'1" tall so any advice on frame size would be helpful.

Any suggestions of which bike I should get.

Maz

Guru
Hi/Welcome,

A hybrid bike might suit you. Don't get one with suspension - they are an energy-sapping waste of time. A new one at that price you could get from Decathlon (brand called B'Twin). As for sizing, best speak to the guys in the shop and definitely take the bike for a test ride before parting with your money.

Wait for some more replies/advice!

thePig

At this price range you should look at hybrid style bikes. There aren't really any road bikes at this price and the mountain bikes will be heavy pieces of metal that will bounce you along the road.

A couple of ideas for hybrid bikes are:
- Trek 7.1
- Trek 7200
- Specialized Globe Range
Check out www.evanscycles.com for more.

As long as you stay with one of the KNOWN manufacturers you are pretty safe. The main thing is to go and test ride several bikes and see what feels comfortable.

Ivan Ardon

Take a look at the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative range. Their Courier bikes are in your price range and are rather nice.

I've got a 2007 Courier Race and it's a far better bike for my use (similar to what you've described) than the CB Urban 300 I had before, mainly due to the CB having energy-sapping front suspension.

PrettyboyTim

You might want to make sure that you get a bike that leaves you enough money left over to get mudguards and a lock, and perhaps a set of lights (although it's probable you won't need them at this time of year). A rack can be pretty useful too.

I have a 2007 Claud Butler Urban 100 (It's lower down the range than the Urban 300 Ivan mentioned, so it doesn't have suspension). It's served me well over the last year commuting around 14 miles/day in London, but for a modern aluminium bike it is a bit heavy. The 'Courier' bike Ivan mentioned does look nicer though (although it is a little bit more expensive).

I imagine you'd be fine with a 22" frame - it's what I've got and I'm about the same height as you.

OP
OP
D

djc

GARY FISHER Tarpon

I had a look at a GARY FISHER Tarpon yesterday for £229 it looked and felt ok. Any comments?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Also look at the second hand market, for that money you can get a nice piece of kit, something much better than if you had bought new. It can be hard looking through all the options, but if you find someone who knows their bikes, you could end up with a great bike that has been well looked after....

Top Bottom