1st extra long commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SquareDaff

Über Member
Wel I've been cycle commuting for about 8 months now on a 7.5 mile each way route in 3.5mile - train - 4mile stages). Last night I was put in the position where I had to do the whole 30 miles (Doncaster to Leeds) in one go.

Fortunately I'm not entirely green to cycling distances although it was many, many moons ago when I used to think nothing of riding 40-50 miles in an evening! Set off slightly slower than normal and maintained a lower average speed.

Was fine until about 2 miles from home when I started to run out of steam. Did the trip in 1 hour and 40 mins door to door. Was reasonably happy with that considering I was ridding a hybrid with full panniers. I might even try the full trip regularly, maybe once a week or so, now I have an idea of the time it'll take.

Oh, can I just say thanks to the fellow cyclist in Doncaster who bolstered my confidence no end by saying "You're cycling to Leeds on THAT!!"

BSRU

A Human Being
The maximum one way commute I can do is maybe 22 miles, normally just 15 miles, because I am limited by time, having to get into work in the morning and having to be at home by a certain time. In the good old days when I was a student 30 or 40 miles would just be a warm up, those were the days :tongue:.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Cycling the full distance adds about 20 mins to the commute time once you factor in waiting for trains etc.. That's not unrealistic to get up early for. Ideally I'd have like to have been doing 15 mile stretches regularly before upgrading to 30 miles in one stint though!

At least it proved I can do the distance and am now seriously considering up-ing my usual commute distance. So will be getting off a station earlier and doing 3.5m - train - 6.5 miles. a) it'll get me fitter b) it's a lot more pleasant getting out in the fresh(ish) air and cycling and c) it'll prepare me better if I ever have to go the full distance again!

Maybe I'm not as young or as fast I was - but I'm enjoying my cycling more than I ever have!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Oh, can I just say thanks to the fellow cyclist in Doncaster who bolstered my confidence no end by saying "You're cycling to Leeds on THAT!!"

That's one up for you over your fellow cyclist
tongue.gif

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
That's one up for you over your fellow cyclist
tongue.gif
I'm aware my bike isn't some sleak carbon featherlite machine - in fact it's positvely average - however, it's well maintained positively average!!! :tongue:

I had no doubts that it would get me home problem free!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Next goal - 20mph!!
Might need to train a bit for that - unless I can find a day with a 30mph tail wind! :tongue:

Top Bottom