England : Greater Manchester 1st Jan, Kick Off the New Year. Manchester to Alderley Edge and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Unfortunately I won't be able to make the ride as my post surgery recovery is not a far down the road as I expected it to be. Have a great ride and hopefully I will see some of you later in the year on a forum ride.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just phoned Aldeli and they are shut until 2nd Jan.

Costa Coffee and Caffe Nero have confirmed they will be open on NYD so we won't be stuck for a hot drink and some food at the lunch stop, even if it does mean using one of the big chain establishments.
I stopped off in AA Costa on Sunday and it was ok with a reasonable range of cakes, panninis etc

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Didn't know you were giving up the booze...….. :tongue:

AE Costa should be fine and more than suitable. I have used the Trafford Centre/Chill Factore one a number of times when cycling there with the kids and the range of food and drinks has always hit the spot. We won't have to suffer on NYD.
AE ...damnit
Their all day breakfast wrap was pretty good
Hopefully we don't encounter a problem like this (near AE last Sunday)

IMG_20181216_114535.jpg

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I could be up for this but depends on a few permutations such as child care arrangements etc.

I would presume bikes are to be left outside a Neros/Costa & so locks would be required, if so my current lock is not suitable as it was originally designed to tie down a 737 at Terminal 2 *a bit bloody heavy*.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I could be up for this but depends on a few permutations such as child care arrangements etc.

I would presume bikes are to be left outside a Neros/Costa & so locks would be required, if so my current lock is not suitable as it was originally designed to tie down a 737 at Terminal 2 *a bit bloody heavy*.
I'll be taking a couple of long cable café locks so will be able to tie up a fair few bikes (each one is long enough to usually fit around a lamppost and 3-4 bike frames or 4-5 bikes if not anchoring to anything solid).

Welcome aboard Mr Centurion :hello:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Forgot to ask if it is fixie friendly
Flat as a pancake!

Route is here - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28918155 shows a short stretch at 7-8% just after passing under the airport. I think the only other steep bit is the short cobbled climb of Jutland Street behind Piccadilly station.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Where's a good place to park.
Ideally somewhere where the wheels will still be attached when we return ......
There's my house, but that puts about an extra 14 miles on your day.

The velodrome would probably be next best. At the front outside Evans is safest but there is also a huge parking area at the back, still within the fenced compound but not secure as the gates are open to anyone.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ok, rider list so far...
Me (I Like Skol)
Skol Jnr a
skol Jnr b
@Kestevan
Mrs Kestevan
@Bazzer
@nickyboy (just the posh bits!)
@skudupnorth
@Pumpkin the robot
@SteCenturion

Weather forecast is a bit early to call but currently looks quite mild and favourable which will be a first for a NYD ride of mine.....

My plan (with usual NYD caveats of actually being able to get out of bed in time for the ride) is to ride Glossop-Alderley Edge and then do your route in reverse until I find you. My route to AE is slightly shorter than yours so with traffic lights etc I guess I'll get there before you. I'm estimating Morley Green for the "catch" but that is massively dependant on the state I will be in

Top Bottom