1st ride out. Is it normal for my sit bones to still hurt the next day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Put some time into the saddle first before changing, decent padded shorts yes 👍

JPBoothy

Veteran
If it continues maybe consider a saddle change? Suspect the Merlin has a cheapo saddle, although doesn't always = uncomfortable! I just got a Nukeproof one for 20 odd quid and instantly comfy
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-...fXQjHUoPekkpYvB1tpHryT32VgfpYPdYaArEFEALw_wcB
I could never be accused of being a 'label' man by any means but do appreciate that sometimes you have to pay for quality. With saddles though that is not necessarily the case as everybodies rear is different (not that I have studied many before the accusations fly :blush:) and, it can take a while to find the right one. My saddle of choice for years was a Selle Italia but then I found that the better quality shorts that I purchased the less I needed to swap my standard saddles whenever I got a new bike. My standard Cannondale & Genesis ones have been particularly comfortable.. Remember those hard plastic ones on 'racers' from the 70's !

However, I recently took a chance on a 'cheapo' from ebay for my son who is only an occasional short distant (round the block) type rider but, when it arrived it looked almost identical to my expensive Selle Italia items from the past and was so comfortable that I have since bought one for myself. My point is, don't think by throwing big money at a saddle it will suddenly feel like you are sitting on a nice armchair. I also like to ride in more 'casual' clothes occasional if going to the shops/pub/Cafe etc but, I purchased a relatively cheap/thin pair of padded shorts for that purpose as they will go under my Walking trousers or Jeans undetected but do the anti-chaffe job nicely :okay:

si_c

Guru
I'd spend a bit of time riding your bike before spending money on shorts or a new saddle. Jeans can be plenty comfortable if the saddle is ok - I've ridden over 60miles in jeans and a t-shirt before now, no padded shorts etc.

Most of the comfort comes from acclimatising your backside.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's jeans and there's jeans. If they don't have bulky seams or crease under you bum, they might be ok, but far more people swear at jeans for cycling than by them!

It sounds to me like too high a saddle possibly, or maybe your legs got tired before the end of the ride so they weren't sharing your weight with your bum. The top tube thing doesn't matter: the important thing is that your leg is almost but not quite straight when at full down while pedalling, but err a bit on the side of low because inefficient pedalling is far better than strained hamstrings and a bruised bum.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
There's jeans and there's jeans. If they don't have bulky seams or crease under you bum, they might be ok, but far more people swear at jeans for cycling than by them!

It sounds to me like too high a saddle possibly, or maybe your legs got tired before the end of the ride so they weren't sharing your weight with your bum. The top tube thing doesn't matter: the important thing is that your leg is almost but not quite straight when at full down while pedalling, but err a bit on the side of low because inefficient pedalling is far better than strained hamstrings and a bruised bum.

I think I've got the saddle height set right. Like you mentioned, I've got it set so my leg has a slight bend to it when in the 6 o clock position on the pedal. My arms aren't locked but, again have a slight bend while riding on the hoods. The jeans I was wearing are slim fit but with an elastic material so they were quite comfortable.

I've gone ahead and ordered some padded shorts anyhow. I'll would of got some eventually so may as well make it easier on myself from the get go.

Lovacott

Über Member
Hi,

As the title suggests, I've just been on my first ride out yesterday. It's been a few years but managed 8.3 miles. I didn't think it was too bad for the 1st one.

I just have one issue and that's my sit bones are in pain. I can't even sit on the bike at the moment. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my set up, or perhaps my saddle?

After my first ride out, I was in a fair bit of pain for about two days and over the following week, it started to recede.

As most on here have said, the pain should be a one off and in my case, I haven't experienced any issues since. I just have the cheap saddle which came with the bike and I wear a pair of football shorts.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Surprised Decathlon hasnt been mentioned for padded shorts yet. They dont cost the bank and have quite a lot of good reviews.

Dont be afraid of 'liner shorts' either, they are like regular lycra shorts but a fit more like a pair of boxer shorts. padding is enough for a few hours in the saddle if not more

Jedi Jim

Hi wardy, I’m a newbie too, my first ride was about 5 weeks ago, my first ride was 20.5 miles, I borrowed my mates bike which I now own, I wore jogging a bottoms, as you said, I’m not a fan of my chicken legs either, I had the same issue, I could hardly sit in the arm chair after 😂😂, best piece of advice I was given by the friends I ride with, who are what I would call accomplished riders was to get some padded shorts, particularly the bib and brace style as they pull up and keep the pads in place better, and a sensible top, I used my rash vest for surfing to start with, and also to keep at it as I would get used to it, and it’s true, after about 3 rides it was far more comfortable, I did use the padded seat topper from the wife’s bike on the second ride which helped, basically I got the legs out with the correct gear and it makes a massive difference, 6 rides in and today’s ride was 32.4 miles with no aches or pains in the rear, hope this helps 😁

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
I think the ones I've ordered are short. But not too short. I'm nervous about Lycra as is haha. They're endura ones but not the more expensive ones they have

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A sore bum is something that even highly experienced cyclists suffer from every once in a while. One of the favourites for the 2019 Transcontinental Race retired "hurt" at an early stage. It's just an occupational hazard.

Surprised Decathlon hasnt been mentioned for padded shorts yet. They dont cost the bank and have quite a lot of good reviews.

Dont be afraid of 'liner shorts' either, they are like regular lycra shorts but a fit more like a pair of boxer shorts. padding is enough for a few hours in the saddle if not more
alsi used to do such things now and again - basically synthetic boxers - fine for many rides if you have the right saddle. My normal underwear on town rides where I use no padding. used to be about a fiver for 2 - wash and dry very easily.

Top Bottom