1st ride out. Is it normal for my sit bones to still hurt the next day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I like narrow leather saddles because I ride with all my weight on my sitbones and I don't like chafing the inside of the thighs. Getting sitbones to an unfeeling state requires riding, riding and more riding. Softer and wide saddles are a problem because instead of your weight being born by the sitbones it is spread all over the soft tissues. Not only do they hurt after a while they can provide genital numbness.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Even if you have the correct set up as a new rider you do need to allow time for sit bones to 'harden up'; your conclusion after the initial ride is common; it does get better.

One rider may swear by a saddle that another may swear because of, so recommendations may not be as useful as hoped. A quality saddle design of the correct width is also a good idea. A good local bike store will have a simple device to make sure your sit bones are supported then match that to a saddle relevant to your style of bike and riding position.

Attachments

• Sitbone1.jpg
    Sitbone1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Sitbone2.jpg
    Sitbone2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 7
  • Sitbone3.jpg
    Sitbone3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Even if you have the correct set up as a new rider you do need to allow time for sit bones to 'harden up'; your conclusion after the initial ride is common; it does get better.

One rider may swear by a saddle that another may swear because of, so recommendations may not be as useful as hoped. A quality saddle design of the correct width is also a good idea. A good local bike store will have a simple device to make sure your sit bones are supported then match that to a saddle relevant to your style of bike and riding position.
Or you could just buy a Brooks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Softer and wide saddles are a problem because instead of your weight being born by the sitbones it is spread all over the soft tissues. Not only do they hurt after a while they can provide genital numbness.
I think that's scaremongering by makers of razor blade saddles. What matters is the right width for you and the right firmness in the right places for you. There is no general rule here.

I think that's scaremongering by makers of razor blade saddles. What matters is the right width for you and the right firmness in the right places for you. There is no general rule here.
I agree that while saddles are a bit complicated, they are nowhere nowhere near as complicated as some manufacturers and their marketeers would have folks believe. As you say it"s just a matter of getting the right width and degree of firmness in the right places. With a bit of trial and error not that complicated and you are then pretty much sorted for life.

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine had her much loved Brooks stolen in Richmond (Upon Thames)
She now uses a cable to secure the replacement to frame to deter the opportunist.
That said, she had locked up the bike hundreds of times before without it being nicked

mjr

Trouble with that of course, even if your behind takes to it, is problems parking the bike in all but the most benign of areas.
A plastic bag usually suffices. Rain and frost can be bigger challenges.

A plastic bag usually suffices. Rain and frost can be bigger challenges.
well if I was any sort of thief hoping to retain my membership I might find a plastic bag on a saddle in any sort of decent weather a bit of a give-away.
I never really got into Brooks but I wouldn't leave one on a bike anywhere in London - see above.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
well if I was any sort of thief hoping to retain my membership I might find a plastic bag on a saddle in any sort of decent weather a bit of a give-away.
I never really got into Brooks but I wouldn't leave one on a bike anywhere in London - see above.
Just glue over the Brooks logo with "Ascot", "Mercury" or "ASDA Basics" branding and it'll remain in place :laugh:

mjr

Maybe I wouldn't try it in London but I left it parked in Cambridge quite a few times like that but I bow to your experience.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Or you could just buy a Brooks
I loved Brooks, for years I rode their Team Pro, sadly like many men as I got older the pressure on my prostate caused numbness and I needed a saddle with a cut out. Back when I ran what was the CTC Shop I actually helped them develop what is now the B17 Carved; testing their pre production prototype, although I personally found the edges of the cut out a bit sharp; something back then they said they would amend, but didn't

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I loved Brooks, for years I rode their Team Pro, sadly like many men as I got older the pressure on my prostate caused numbness and I needed a saddle with a cut out. Back when I ran what was the CTC Shop I actually helped them develop what is now the B17 Carved; testing their pre production prototype, although I personally found the edges of the cut out a bit sharp; something back then they said they would amend, but didn't
Never tried one with a cutout, but they look a right 'nacker trap' to me. :ohmy:

Lovacott

Über Member
Just glue over the Brooks logo with "Ascot", "Mercury" or "ASDA Basics" branding and it'll remain in place :laugh:
I had a friend in Bristol who had his carbon fibre racer stolen even though it was chained up (they used bolt cutters).

He was lucky and got it back intact so the first thing he did was remove all of the branding and "dirtied up" the frame with some creative art (he painted on some mud coloured acrylic paint).

Top Bottom