1st ride out. Is it normal for my sit bones to still hurt the next day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
I had similar experience when getting back in to cycling a couple of years ago:

Yes it will be sore at first, but I have found these things useful:
Measure you sit bones - effectively sit on some corrugated card and measure distance between indentations
https://blog.bikefit.com/sit-bones-width-measurement-and-bike-saddle-selection/

Play around with handlebar height - It's not just the height of the saddle which affects the pressure on your but

Some saddles are far more comfortable with the "nose" slightly up - I think Brookes in particular (once the nose was up and the handle bars set I found a Brookes B17 comfortable from new)

Also play around with the fore/aft position of the saddle so that your sit bones aren't sliding to an inappropriate part of the saddle.

I ride in jeans/shorts depending on weather (never more than 20 miles so far) and haven't felt the need for padded shorts, although something like Henry VIII's padded posing pouch could be impressive for onlookers I guess.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had similar experience when getting back in to cycling a couple of years ago:

Measure you sit bones - effectively sit on some corrugated card and measure distance between indentations

Play around with handlebar height - It's not just the height of the saddle which affects the pressure on your but

Some saddles are far more comfortable with the "nose" slightly up - I think Brookes in particular (once the nose was up and the handle bars set I found a Brookes B17 comfortable from new)

Also play around with the fore/aft position of the saddle so that your sit bones aren't sliding to an inappropriate part of the saddle.

I ride in jeans/shorts depending on weather (never more than 20 miles so far) and haven't felt the need for padded shorts, although something like Henry VIII's padded posing pouch could be impressive for onlookers I guess.
Yep a Brooks can be more 'accommodating' than a squishy saddle the same as a hard wooden chair that is well made and designed can be more comfortable than a poorly designed padded seat. TBH though my B17 isn't my favourite although my B17n (narrow) is sublime.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Maybe I've just got a tolerant backside but I am generally fairly happy sitting on a wide variety of fairly cheap MTB/hybrid saddles, a Brooks sprung roadster saddle, or a fairly decent Selle touring job with or without springs at the rear.
I've only got one that I find really hard and uncomfortable, a salvaged MTB job, which I've put back into my spare saddles box. I do have a couple of favourites, but unless I am riding 30+ miles I'm not overly fussy so long as it is adjusted correctly, that means fore-aft, tilt, and height. A significantly over-high saddle is hard on the arse and makes you rock from side to side, and a significantly low set one just kills your legs.

Lovacott

Über Member
Maybe I've just got a tolerant backside but I am generally fairly happy sitting on a wide variety of fairly cheap MTB/hybrid saddles, a Brooks sprung roadster saddle, or a fairly decent Selle touring job with or without springs at the rear.
Whenever I have taken a hiatus from cycling for more than a few weeks, I've ended up saddle sore after my first ride. The longer it is that I haven't ridden, the more it hurts.

The best cure for saddle soreness is more time in the saddle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And then get a saddle that fits that measurement! For mainstream plastic saddles, that means the slighty-raised bumps or firmer padding near the back are that far apart - and that means you need to see the saddle or a detailed decent review before you buy.

carpenter

Über Member
And then get a saddle that fits that measurement! For mainstream plastic saddles, that means the slighty-raised bumps or firmer padding near the back are that far apart - and that means you need to see the saddle or a detailed decent review before you buy.

Rivet saddles give a guide for their saddle model and sit bone distance (I went for a Diablo for one of my bikes and it seems to work):
https://rivetcycleworks.com/which-saddle-is-right-for-me/

icowden

Veteran
I think the ones I've ordered are short. But not too short. I'm nervous about Lycra as is haha. They're endura ones but not the more expensive ones they have
The Endura Humvees are great. They look like normalish shorts but have a detachable lycra cycling short underneath. I swear by them.

Lovacott

Über Member
The Endura Humvees are great. They look like normalish shorts but have a detachable lycra cycling short underneath. I swear by them.
I wear football shorts in the summer and tracksuit bottoms in the winter. I'm not really sure what difference Lycra gear would make to my cycling?

Then again, I've never worn anything made of Lycra ever so I'm not exactly writing this from an experienced perspective.

What's the deal with Lycra and cycling?

vickster

Legendary Member
I wear football shorts in the summer and tracksuit bottoms in the winter. I'm not really sure what difference Lycra gear would make to my cycling?

Then again, I've never worn anything made of Lycra ever so I'm not exactly writing this from an experienced perspective.

Specific to shorts/tights....Close fitting so won’t snag on the chain for example, or chafe and won’t flap in the wind, Also provides compression to muscles, supple so allows full movement, while padding puts something between the delicate nether bits and the saddle of discomfort is an issue. Quick to wash and dry especially if get caught in rain.
However, there’s no need to wear cycling specific gear if you’re happy in your non cycling specific gear :smile:
Of course, it is possible though that your football shorts and tracksuit bottoms contain Lycra to give stretch ;)

icowden

Veteran

Wot Vickster said. Plus for us gents they can often help with chafing and comfort around the Betty Swallocks area. That bit of padding and the ability to hold everything comfy so a gentleman doesn't get snookered.

JPBoothy

Veteran
A bit of a late entry here @Wardy940 but, I was curious about your painful butt (in a non weird way of course) after having suffered some under carriage issues of my own following a recent few hours in the saddle. When I finally got back home and had the chance to refit my original saddle 'as the new cheapo bargain that I had recently purchased seemed the most obvious culprit' I realised that when fitting the new one I had inadvertently moved my seat post up by an inch which had removed the bend in my leg and resulted in me 'rocking' on the saddle because I was overstretched on each paddle stroke. A bit of a basic blunder on my part there but certainly one to watch out for :okay:

Reactions: mjr

RichardB

Slightly retro
As above, if the saddle is too high your pelvis will be rocking from side to side and that can lead to chafing and pain - also not good for your back long-term.

When riding, your legs and your bum share the weight of your body. As you get fitter, you can push the pedals harder and that means less weight on your bottom over the course of the ride, and therefore less discomfort.

Also (may not apply to you but it did to me) if you are overweight, your poor old bum gets to feel every single gram of lard you are carrying. Once the weight starts to come off, the pressure on the down-below bits gets less.

And, of course, your @rse hardens up with practice anyway. So - time and increasing fitness will (probably) solve the problem. Certainly give it some time and some miles before junking anything and spending money on alternatives.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Padded cycling shorts/bib tights, frequent short rides and E45 cream (or similar) applied before the ride have helped me get over the hump, so to speak. I had a short enforced lay off earlier this year and I found myself in discomfort around the 20 kilometre mark on every ride. With repeated rides and the occasional application of my cheap version of saddle cream have helped and I now ride in excess of 50 k's without discomfort.

I've had a lot of rear end discomfort on my latest bike, both on the original saddle, and a well padded one, I now use a gel cover for extra padding. It moves around a bit, but does reduce the discomfort, it cost £8 at Wilko.

Top Bottom